Forum Discussion

M__Ward
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Bait and switch?

Been a Cox subscriber a little over a year now. Moved into a brand new apartment community that was pre-wired for Cox services. The apartment came with a modem that will ultimately transfer to the next renter after I'm gone. I'm a simple user and only need internet, and nothing extreme either. I'm not a gamer or doing anything requiring super fast upload or download speeds. My first year as a subscriber I was paying $70.00 per month for the "Internet Preferred 250" plan. After the year the cost went up to $90.00 per month. I recently had a service need and logged into my Cox account for the first time in ages and I discovered that other plans exist. Upon my search I discovered a plan that, lo and behold, is the EXACT same plan as the one I'm currently subscribed to. It's even called "Internet Preferred 250" plan, with not one single difference in services offered. Same download speed of up to 250 Mbps, same upload speed of up to 250 Mbps, same being ideal for 5-7 devices, and same included data of 1.25 TB per month. But guess what, it's only $70.99 per month!!! What's the catch? The catch is you need to have a tech come out to your residence and change your modem for a fee of a $100.00. I mean really, it requires a new modem for the EXACT same service? This seems deceptive and feels wrong to me. Am I being unreasonable thinking this smells rotten to the core? 

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'd tell Cox you're not allowed to change the modem because the modem is assigned to the apartment...not the user.

I really didn't understand your issue.  You were subscribed to 250 at $70...1 year later, 250 bumped to $90...and the Cox website sells it for $70.  Were you originally on a promotional deal at $70?  Is the website selling the same promotional deal?

Do your neighbors have the 250 plan?  Ask 'em to compare.

M__Ward
      New Contributor II

My issue is that I am paying $90 a month for a plan they are offering for $71 a month. The website shows a list of upgrades or downgrades that you then "add to cart." Nothing is being offered as a promo. Just upgrades that increase your monthly cost and downgrades that reduce them. In my case it's neither, just the exact same plan for less. I'll ask the neighbors, but regardless, I should be able to get the plan at the lesser rate without having to pony up $100 for the supposed need of a modem swap.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

So you weren't on a promotional deal?  You can review your year-ago bill in your account.  Cox saves up to 18 months.

Do you need 250?  If you're a simple user, downgrade to 150.

annap
    New Contributor

it is. Cox is a horrible company. sadly, they have a monopoly here.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

This reads like another promotional price, so keep an eye on your statement(s) for another "X Month Service Agreement."

What Cox wants is for you to NOT pay a lesser bill, so they invent plans to keep your costs the same.  250/250 is not a plan.  250/250 is invented just as Cox did to me from 150/10 to 200/10...to keep me paying the same price.

Did you ask Cox about their 150 plan?  It's on their webpage for Speeds and Data Plans, but where is it in their offerings within your account?

You need to keep an eye on Cox.