Forum Discussion

ricstudioc
New Contributor II
14 days ago

Yahoo server settings? Smtp/pop etc

After an experience I can only liken to a tooth extraction without novacaine I'm signed into Yahoo mail.  Small victories.

But now I need to configure my apps to deal with Yahoo - smtp, pop, whatever.  I use Thunderbird on my PC platforms, and BlueMail on my various devices.  (would assume the settings are the same for all, but just to be safe...)  This trip to the dentist isn't done until I have restored access across my various stuff.

Little help, here?

2 Replies

ricstudioc
    New Contributor II

Well I think I've got it now - as of this moment everything seems to be working as needed. Still not 100% certain - but pretty sure.  Frankly took so much dickin' around that I hope I have the details straight.

Successful COX to Yahoo email transition with Thunderbird | Cox Community  If you run Thunderbird, this post from another user proved invaluable.  Note especially the reference to OAuth2 near the bottom - made all the difference.  Huge shout out to TCox here.

BlueMail (and presumably other mobile mail apps) - server settings were a given, but continually kept failing at password.  Various combinations of old password, new Yahoo password, user names, etc.  No joy.  Finally stumbled across this at Yahoo

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/password-sln15241.html

Followed the link to 3rd party app (still using T-Bird here) and generated a password (16 digit, very random) specific to BlueMail.  Plugged it into my test bed device and - got it.  Various tests looked good, so fired up a second device, plugged that password into BlueMail and- fail.  Huh?  Went round and round for a bit with the same results.  Finally rolled the dice and deleted the actual account - the account, NOT the app - from BlueMail and started from scratch, blank slate.  From this initialized state, BlueMail offered Yahoo as a starting point, so went with that using the recent Yahoo password - that did it.  A little more testing and things seemed ok, so I repeated the delete/create on my other devices, all went well.

Like I said, with all the back-and-forth over a day and a half I hope I've got enough of the details straight here, maybe help someone.  But really, Cox - this was the best you could do? 

ricstudioc
    New Contributor II

Add to the above - actual user name and password.  I DID find what should be the imap/pop settings.  Since I have several mobile devices I figured I'd get things working on one of them first, use it as the test bed.  BlueMail won't configure using (some combination of?) my Cox i.d and password, have been trying various combos of Cox/Yahoo info - still no joy.

Any help appreciated - when/if I get this sorted I'll post info here, maybe help someone.