Forum Discussion

TV_doesn_t_reco
New Contributor
12 years ago

TV doesn't recognize cable box using HDMI connection

I have a Motorola - CMO6416 cable box with HD service and a plasma HDTV.  The problem is when connected with HDMI my TV doesn't recognize it, so I've just been using RCA cables and going to AV.  Now here's the kicker, it used to work a year or so ago and I don't even remember when exactly it started doing that, so I probably won't remember any changes I made if there are any questions like that.  I've just never come around to figuring out the problem, plus my quality is ok using RCA's but I know I'm not getting full HD when on HD channels, especially good HD movies I can really notice the difference.  But I know it's not the TV because when I use my Playstation 3 using HDMI my TV recognizes it and I can watch HD movies all day long.  So I'm thinking something's up with the box, I've been having it for a couple years and maybe one of the updates might have messed with something.... unless the box is just plain out of date and I need a new one??...  Can anyone HELP PLEASSEEE?!?!

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I had the same problem when I switched from an analog TV to a high-def plasma.  My TV was new, my HDMI cable was new and I got another cable box from Cox...but no picture.  I swapped the HDMI cable but still no picture.  It turned out to be a defective HDMI connector on the back of a Cisco Explorer 1840.  Cox issued me a refurbished and "bench-checked" cable box...which begs the question, what do they check on a used cable box before reissuing it?

If you haven't tried a new cable on the TV, replace the cable box.

• Yeah I figured that's probably what I have to do is just change out the box, even though it used to work who knows it could've became defective possibly from switching the HDMI cable too many times between my cable box and my PS3 because I only have one HDMI cable that stays hooked to my TV.  But like I said I know it's not the cable because it works fine for the PS3.

Thanks Bruce!

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

TV doesn't recognize cable box using HDMI connection said:

Yeah I figured that's probably what I have to do is just change out the box, even though it used to work who knows it could've became defective possibly from switching the HDMI cable too many times between my cable box and my PS3 because I only have one HDMI cable that stays hooked to my TV.  But like I said I know it's not the cable because it works fine for the PS3.

Thanks Bruce!

HDMI cables aren't made to be plugged in/unplugged numerous times, especially cheaper ones. There are (at least) 19 connections which might go bad at the plug/jack interface. I would guess that a bad connection where the plug connects to the STB is the culprit.

• Well I guess i'll be bringing the box in to get it swapped out then, and also get another HDMI cord to eliminate it being in/unplugged.

Thanks Domino!

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Be careful purchasing new HDMI cables:  don't pay too much or go too cheap.  Some manufacturers, such as Monster and AudioQuest, ridiculously overpriced their cables.  But I also wouldn't buy one at the Dollar Store.  Since my first LaserDisc player, I have always been satisfied with MediaBridge cables.  Great quality and great prices.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

TV doesn't recognize cable box using HDMI connection said:

Well I guess i'll be bringing the box in to get it swapped out then, and also get another HDMI cord to eliminate it being in/unplugged.

Thanks Domino!

How many HDMI inputs does your TV have? If just the one, try a simple 2->1 switcher, like at

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/switches/index.htm

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Bruce said:

Be careful purchasing new HDMI cables:  don't pay too much or go too cheap.  Some manufacturers, such as Monster and AudioQuest, ridiculously overpriced their cables.  But I also wouldn't buy one at the Dollar Store.  Since my first LaserDisc player, I have always been satisfied with MediaBridge cables.  Great quality and great prices.

I've been using and installing exclusively BJC-Series F (now FE) from Blue Jeans cable. Over 25 purchased. No problems.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm

• Not sure how many ports my TV has, i'll have to check when I get home.  But thanks for all the input and recommendations on wires.  I'll let you know when I bring in my box to see if I need a new one.