Forum Discussion

ShirleyP
New Contributor II
11 months ago

CableCards (for Tivo DVR) no longer supported?

Via Chat with Cox support I just tried to order a CableCard for a Tivo DVR.  I was told that they are no longer supported and that I can not order one.  I'm skeptical that this is really true.  I always understood that cable companies were required by federal regulation to support customer-owned equipment.  Does anyone know more about this?  Would be especially interested to hear definitively from any Cox staff on the forum.

Thanks very much!

20 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

At one time, the FCC was protecting consumers by not forcing us to rent cable-boxes from cable companies.  Cable companies had to provide an alternative.  However, the FCC is now protecting the bottom line of the cable companies.

docs.fcc.gov/.../FCC-20-124A1.pdf

bryaninphx
      Valued Contributor

I haven't heard anything about dropping CableCARD support. I still have 3 CCs and haven't received any notice.

I could possibly understand not issuing new CCs

Try calling Cox at  877-820-8202 and see what they say. This number used to be the dedicated CableCARD pairing number, but now its just more advanced Tech support.

According to this Cox support article it looks as if CCs are still supported.
      www.cox.com/.../cablecard-features-and-limitations.html

Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

I haven’t heard anything but each Cox location is different they did drop ondemand support for TiVo hardware.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Okay...each Cox market has different rules.  Makes sense.  Each market would have different headends.

Shirley, for your market (location), send an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name and complete address.

ShirleyP
    New Contributor II

Thanks for everyone's responses and suggestions.  I emailed them at cox.help@cox.com and got a more hopeful response.  The current story is that supposedly CableCards can no longer be shipped direct to customers, and have to either be picked up at a Cox location or installed by a technician. Full response is below.  If true, then the Chat agent was just misinformed.

Not sure yet whether this helps me much, as our local store said they no longer stocked them, and the nearest other stores are 1+ hour drive away.

We'll see how it goes. If I get any more concrete info, I will update this thread.

Full response from Cox email support:

I apologize you are having this difficulty. It sounds like the agent you chatted with was misinformed. I read through the latest process for installing cable cards, it says that we still offer cable cards, but we are no longer able to drop ship them, They will need to be picked up at a Cox solution store or installed by a Cox technician. I apologize I'm not able to create an install work order to add this equipment within my department but if you call our sales team they will be glad to get this set up. Im not sure why the agent at our store told you they were no longer available. I'm certain the agent you speak with when you call in will be able to walk you through these steps. The best number to call is 1-800-234-3993 Monday - Friday, 8 am - 9 pm or Saturday, 9 am - 6 pm

ShirleyP
      New Contributor II

We have the Contour TV Preferred package.  But the TV package we have didn't even come up with the agent.  As soon as I said I wanted a CableCard, he said they are no longer supported.  No offer of it being supported with a different package, etc.

The thread you referenced is very old, from 2017.  As Bruce points out the FCC regs changed in 2020.  Apparently they are no longer *required* to support CableCards

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Them being no longer required and no longer being offered are two different things IMO. Maybe a moderator here can confirm. I hope I am right, because it would really stink if Cox totally discontinued them. Comcast promised to support them till 2031.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Technically, they support cable cards, because that's how the cable boxes themselves function. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Except in IPTV only areas. Do those exist where Cox has upgraded to fiber(PON)?

Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

the boxes either cable cards also use downloadable security which I think cox is using 

ShirleyP
    New Contributor II

Just to close this issue out:  I called one of the stores about an hour away from us (Fayetteville, AR) and they said they did have CableCards and tuning adapters (unlike our local Fort Smith location).  I happened to travel to that area and was able to pick up the equipment. Activation via the CableCard activation number went without a hitch.

So I guess the resolution of my original post/question is that the initial info I got from the in-store rep in Fort Smith and later via chat was incorrect.  At least as of June 2023 Cox does still support CableCards, but you have to pick up in store rather than ordering for direct shipment.