Forum Discussion

Rob_Home_TV
New Contributor
2 years ago

Can you mix wired and wireless contour boxes?

I would like to add a tv to my existing service. My other boxes are all wired. My new location does not have access to a cable outlet. Can I add a wireless contour box? Chat has led me to believe that I cannot and will need to swap out all my boxes and internet modem/router to wireless only. 

Is this correct? 

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Yes, as long as you are using a Cox Panoramic Modem. Without that modem you won't be able to use a wireless cable box. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I have heard of some people getting the boxes to work wired/ethernet with their own router but YMMV. Some say you need the MoCA adapter inside the gateway for the Video over IP connection while others say you don't need MoCA since it doesn't use a coaxial connection.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

it MAY work with Ethernet, but I wouldn't place any hard currency on that.....

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Either way I don't think that solution will work for OP since if they could run a ethernet wire over to the room then they could just run coaxial and use a normal box. I was just saying it for FYI.

• @Rob Home TV, I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator