Forum Discussion

daverug
New Contributor
2 years ago

Picture in top left corner

We've been having a constant problem we can't seem to fix.  When turning on the TV, the entire picture is miniature and at the top left corner. The TV itself works fine when we launch apple tv or another streaming service, but when using the cable box, this is what happens.  There is no other way to fix other than reboot the contour box by unplugging and re-plugging back in.  Cox doesn't know what the issue is either.  Anyone else experiencing?

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I have experienced this myself recently. I have had the same cable box and hdmi cable for a few years and did not start seeing this occur until I bought a new TV a few months ago. The only workaround I have seen myself outside of rebooting the box like you say is to change the display format to a 480 format and then change it back to 1080p in the contour settings menu. I have a Samsung QLED model Q80B. I had a different Samsung prior to this (non-QLED) and it worked without any issue. I think this may be a hdmi handshake issue as bluestar mentioned.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator

daverug
      New Contributor

Thanks for the input. Trying a new HDMI cable and will give feedback after some time.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Samsung TVs have a default setting to display Smart Hub when the TV is turned on.  It times out after a few seconds on some models, but if you always use the same media source, you can turn it off in settings and go directly to the selected live channel.

How to activate or deactivate the Smart Hub (samsung.com)

The settings path will vary.  For 2024 Samsung models:

Home > Left > Down to Settings > Right to All Settings > Down to General & Privacy > Down to Start Screen Option > Turn off Start with Smart Hub

bluestar
    New Contributor

If HDMI connection, sounds like a handshake issue.  Try different input on TV and/or a different HDMI cable.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What manufacture TV do you have? Do you have anything else plugged into it for HDMI? Sounds like either the TV or the box is going to screensaver mode.

HooverTV
    New Contributor

I got a new Samsung 55 inch QN90B neo QLED tv and started having a problem with a small picture in the top left hand corner of the screen every morning.

Initially, to fix it it required a reboot of the Arris DVR or going to settings on the DVR and switching to 480p res and then back to 1080p.

After many days of experimentation, I found that by disconnecting the HDMI cable to the TV overnight during the daily update, the problem did not occur.

So the conclusion I came to was that there is some kind of interaction bewtween the tv and dvr box during the daily update.

To isolate the TV from the DVR, I decide to purchase a HDMI splitter from Amazon for around $20.  I connected the DVR HDMI output cable into the splitter input and  connected  one of the splitters outputs to the one of the TVs HDMI inputs.

This apparently did isolate the interaction between the TV and DVR during daily updates and cured the problem. 

CoxPhx
    New Contributor

I just put new contour box on my new Samsung 55" OLED TV yesterday and this morning the picture was small top left of screen. All channels same so rebooted the box..pressed power button and picture came back normal. Will try doing a scheduled 1 minute power outlet off-on each morning to see if problem resolves. 

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

If the issue persists, you might try resetting Samsung TV settings.  Let us know what fixes it.

CoxPhx
    New Contributor

I will be trying a Power strip off then on (TV and Contour box) every am for 1 minute. 

CoxPhx
    New Contributor

It is currently set to turn on previous app (which is Cable Box)

CoxPhx
    New Contributor

It is currently off and was that way before I hooked up the Contour Box yesterday. Set to start with last app.  

HooverTV
      New Contributor

I got a new Samsung 55 inch QN90B neo QLED tv and started having a problem with a small picture in the top left hand corner of the screen every morning.

Initially, to fix it it required a reboot of the Arris DVR or going to settings on the DVR and switching to 480p res and then back to 1080p.

After many days of experimentation, I found that by disconnecting the HDMI cable to the TV overnight during the daily update, the problem did not occur.

So the conclusion I came to was that there is some kind of interaction bewtween the tv and dvr box during the daily update.

To isolate the TV from the DVR, I decide to purchase a HDMI splitter from Amazon for around $20.  I connected the DVR HDMI output cable into the splitter input and  connected  one of the splitters outputs to the one of the TVs HDMI inputs.

This apparently did isolate the interaction between the TV and DVR during daily updates and cured the problem. 

CoxPhx
        New Contributor

Picture appeared normal today. Scheduled a 3 minute power off then on at 0530 WiFi plug on contour box. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

CoxPhx

Just to clarify, is the screen with the small picture a Samsung screen or Contour?  If it's Samsung, I'd try cycling the Start Screen Options to reset.  If it's the Contour program grid, that's not something that should be affected by changing your TV's settings.