Forum Discussion

Spoor
New Contributor
2 years ago

All DVR gone this morning

Last night - all of my DVR recorded shows disappeared. NO, they are not in the deleted shows at the bottom. Everything is gone - can I get back?

Thanks

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      Bone
      New Contributor II

I just read the different threads you have posted. I replied to one of your postings asking questions. I have had a Cox person come out to check my setup. They said my setup is fine. The person told me my choices were to upgrade to the cloud box which I read isn't good either or keep swapping out your box because something must be wrong with it for it to happen. From one of your answers gave me the idea to ask for a different brand when I go swap out my box again. I did read one could buy their own box as long as it is compatible.  I have had one box where I could turn the tv on and rewind up to hour of live show. Then another box that didn't do that. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Those are threads that other forum users with this issue have posted.

Cox TV will buffer an hour for the last TV channels selected for each of the receiver channels if the cable box has been on for at least an hour.  When you first select a channel, it won't be buffered.  But if you select a different channel and go back to the first one an hour or more later, the last hour of the first channel will be buffered.  I think Contour buffers too, but it may be a half hour.  Someone can correct me on that.  One thing changed about Cox TV over the years.  There was a time when you could start recording a buffered program from the beginning of the buffer.  Now you can watch the buffer, but you can only record live.  I couldn't  say how Contour handles it.

Edit: I checked buffering on recent channels and It's not always an hour.

• Hello Spoor,

I am sorry to hear that you had trouble with all of your DVR recordings going missing. I can imagine how frustrating this would be. There are some troubleshooting steps that can be taken to try to recover those recordings.

First, We would want to powercycle the cable box.
    1. Unplug the receiver's power cord from the electrical outlet.
    2. Wait 30 seconds.
    3. Plug the power back in to the same outlet.
    4. Press the power button on the front panel of the receiver. The receiver will begin to power back on.

Next, we want to sync the DVR.
    1. Using the Cox remote press the Contour button.
    2. Highlight the Gear icon, then press OK to access the Settings menu.
    3. Highlight the Device Settings, then press OK.
    4. Highlight Sync DVR, then press OK twice to begin the DVR Sync.

Finally, go to live TV and try to record something for about 1 minute and then play it back.

Tiffany R.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator