Forum Discussion

Desert_Rat
New Contributor III
2 years ago

Tuning Adapter Reboot Issue New Tuning Adapter UPDATE

It's just about a month since Cox updated my Tuning Adapters with the new dual frequency adapters.  In the last 30 or so days, it has rebooted twice, for a very short period of time and did not trigger the "tuning adapter not connected" on the TiVo.  Other than that, it has worked flawlessly.  I would imagine TiVo will be releasing the new adapters sometime in 2023 subject to availability.  They have not been in touch with me to see if I have had any issues but did give me the email address of the person in charge of the issue to report any problems which I have yet to have to do.

For those who asked I am in the Phoenix Metro area and the Chandler facility.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Well, a couple hours before the tech was scheduled to show up, the TA decided to connect.  I elected to let it go in hopes it would crash before the tech got here.  Tech showed up, no crashes.  Had a nice discussion with the tech.  He claims COX made an update to the North Scottsdale head end related to TA's.  Something about the 100mHz (or maybe 110) channel.  In any case, the TA has been up for a week now.  No crashes.  Error counts increasing modestly but no where near previous error rates. 

Problem solved?  Seems like it.

It took almost a year, but COX may have finally figured it out.  Thank You!!

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      It took almost a year, but COX may have finally figured it out.  Thank You!!

Huzzah! Thanks for the update.

Toml66
      New Contributor II

Has your Tuning Adapter stayed up?  I too connected mine again after a good 6+ months of being disconnected.  Mine appeared to stay up about 4-5 days before the constant rebooting started again.  I too chatted with a support person and they kept insisting that the only fix to this issue is having them send me a Contour 2 box and charging me up the ying yang to rent boxes for my other TV's.  I insisted I wanted my tuning adapter to be fixed since my Tivo and 5 mini's are all lifetimes so they don't cost me any extra to record and distributes cable tv to all my other tv sets.  Their solution would add a good $50-$60 per month once their "free" contour 2 box was no longer free plus all the other boxes for my secondary TVs

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Can you tell us a little about the new TA? Model number? Maybe a picture? Or are you under NDA?

• I'm in Scottsdale and have been struggling with Tuning Adaptor issues for almost a year now.  I pretty much gave up several months ago.  I turned the TA off and just lived with the missing channels.  This after a protracted effort from COX to find the problems.  I would periodically power up the TA to see if the reboot problem had gone away, but it always returned.

This past weekend I powered up the TA only to find that it would no longer connect to anything.  It just sat there with a slowly blinking green light.  I called COX and (twice) explained the complete history of my problems.  I mentioned the threads here where updated TA's are said to be available.  The person I spoke with (Tier 2) had no knowledge of new TA's.  He insisted that the only thing he could do was send a tech out.  So...  a tech will be here this afternoon.  Here we go again.

Is there any way you can post the model number, a photo or any other clue that I can pass along to the tech.  Maybe a phone number, name or even an a group within COX that can provide the tech with information.

Thanks in advance.  Hopefully a solution is getting closer.

LatitiaS
      Hi there LongTime TIVO User,

I am very sorry to learn of your Tuning Adaptor issues and I would be glad to help. If the technician has yet to arrive, please feel free to send us an email with your full name and service address. We can surely add any additional information to the work order ticket. Our email address is Cox.help@cox.com.
      We look forward to working with you.

Latitia
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • I asked the same question on the TIVO Community Forum.  A gentleman there provided a link to this thread

https://www.tivocommunity.com/threads/spectrum-and-cable-card.588503/page-15

It shows photos of a replacement Tuning Adaptor used by Charter Communications.  It's apparently used in systems that have migrated to a High Split frequency allocation.  Not clear if it's suitable for the Mid Split allocation used in Scottsdale.  But if they have one for High Split it might be straight forward to build one for Mid Split.

bscheets
    New Contributor

I just get a replacement tuning adapter (Mesa AZ), and it's just been flashing for hours. I was having the same constant reboot - connect/disconnect issue, and they gave me the exact same model (STA1520) as a replacement.  Is there something to tell someone to address the issue and perhaps give me the right equipment?  The call to technical support told me to go to the store and get a new tuning adapter, but they didn't seem to have any understanding that there was any issue.

Desert_Rat
      New Contributor III

Youneed to get one  ofthe newer split frequency TA's that work very well.  I have had mine for several months and it has rebooted twice in that time.  Good luck in communicating with a rep on the phone as they either do not know about these new boxes or are not supposed to talk about them until they are ready for a full roll out.

Nevada_1K
      New Contributor II

About 2 weeks ago I was informed there had been a "glitch" discovered with, I believe, one of the units being "tested" and Cox was trying to resolve that issue before rolling out the newer TA's to those who have been experiencing the issue with their Tivo Boxes and the STA 1520 not playing nice with each other.  I remain as frustrated as everyone else dealing with this problem for a year or longer.

Toml66
        New Contributor II

I had cox come out to my house last week for this issue.  The tech said he knows nothing at all about any new TAs or that there is even a widespread issue of them rebooting.  He replaced a long coax run I had and cleaned up some issues he saw.  My TA worked great for 3 days then rebooted once, 2 days later it rebooted 3 times in a span of an hour so I disconnected it from my TiVo again so my recordings won't be screwed up.  They really need to fix their communications issues, this tech I had out here claimed he would know about a new TA being rolled out and said any posts about them were all false.  I don't necessarily believe him on this issue, I think he just hasn't been informed yet.  I will text him tomorrow to let him know it started rebooting again.