Forum Discussion

RHinCT
New Contributor
2 years ago

Tired of unwatchable programs

Tonight I was trying to watch Clerks on 247 NEXTHD.  It was not watchable.  When it did play it often was in blotchy mode.  It even BACKED UP and repeated something from several second ago.. 

Last week I was trying to watch a World Cup repeat on FS2.  You couldn't follow the ball, or the play, because it stopped every few seconds. 

I've had this service for a couple of years now and this is a new problem.

9 Replies

• Hello RHinCT,

I am truly sorry to hear that you are having this trouble when trying to watch your favorite movies and TV shows. I can imagine how frustrating it would be for the cable to go in and out. I wouldn't like that either. This is certainly not the experience that we would want for you. Typically this is a sign of poor signal to the cable box. There are many issues inside and outside the home that could cause it. There are a couple of things I would recommend checking. If this does not resolve the issue, the next step would likely be to have a technician out. Please follow the steps below and let us know the results.

1. Check the connections to ensure they are all secured and the cables are undamaged.
    2. If you are using a splitter, bypass it by connecting the coaxial cable directly from the wall outlet to the cable box.
    3. If you are using an amplifier in the home, check that it is secured and the light is lit to the AC adapter.
    4. Reboot the cable box by unplugging the power for 30 seconds and reconnecting it.

If the issue continues, can you email my team at cox.help@cox.com to allow us to investigate further and set up a service call if needed?

Tiffany R.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      RHinCT
      New Contributor

When dozens of stations are showing programs perfectly, how can a connection problem only occur on one at a time?  They all share the same cable.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Than answer is, each station is on a different frequency, just like the radio in your car. You can pull up to a traffic light, and get noise on one station, another is perfect, yet the antenna cable from the antenna to the radio is the same for both stations. Something could be affecting the frequency specific to the station you are having trouble with, and not affecting other frequencies. Also, if another station is on a frequency close to the one you are getting interference on, or shares that frequency, then it could affect the other station as well. 

RHinCT
      New Contributor

I've had this house for just a couple of years.  All the cable wiring was in place already.  Lots, and lots, and lots of wiring.  The basement is 74 feet long.  Cable comes in at one corner, runs the entire length, then returns along the opposite wall.  Lots of extra cable in loops here and there.  Splitters.  I have one run to the cable box for the TV, and one to the internet gateway.

You said I should check connections.  There are so many cables not being used, so many that go in strange directions, so many splitters... well, so far I haven't been able to make much sense of it.

The problem was happening yesterday evening, but I did mess with some connections.  I will continue to keep an eye on the quality.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Disconnecting unused cables and removing unnecessary splitters, will increase signal levels to those connected devices. I would certainly remove anything that isn't necessary.