Forum Discussion

larryj52
New Contributor
2 years ago

I am paying $251 00 per month and I think I ought to be able to watch the major networks anywhere. I have a hotspot using an Amazon fire stick. I downloaded the abc app and when I go to live tv it says not available through cox.

See subject. 

13 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

This is the reason we need widermouthopen's posts restored because I can't find the previous post about Firestick and Hotspots.

Didn't Cox start disallowing Firesticks on their Hotspots?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I am over on Reddit now(Until Cox can fix me). If you search Reddit you find a lot about this topic. Here is one thread. Seems they are doing it by vendor ID from the MAC addresses. All in the name of restoring box profits to the ISP IMO. Wireless boxes also mean a Panoramic rental. Win/Win for Cox but loss for customers.

PS. Here is a link to root your firestick to change the MAC address. It isn't for the laymen though.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The previous post I'm referring was a user no longer unable to connect a Firestick to a hotspot.  I remember the MAC address reference in the thread.  I'll try searching by it.

• The purpose of the Cox TV Support Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable Television services with other customers. If you need help with billing or other account specific issues, or would like to submit a channel request, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      larryj52
      New Contributor

Just what I expected. I was on chat for an hour and still no answers or reason why. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

The reason for this is the rebroadcasting agreements with the various networks. ABC's app btw is produced by ABC, so you may want to ask THEM.