Forum Discussion

MaxOC
New Contributor III
2 years ago

Contour recorded shows are deleted on their own

This is not the first time I have seen this but my Contour box deletes recorded shows from time to time on its own. This is not a problem with disk space, its only 24% full and the Contour box was replaced about 2 months ago so its rather new. I am the only person at home and I would not have deleted those movies, they are some of my favorites and do not air very often. This also happened with my previous Contour box. The only thing I can imagine is the Contour software / hardware being at fault. In my opinion it is very unreliable system, lots of freezes and re-boots. I wish there was another cable company available in South OC. I gave up calling Cox support, they can't figure it out and the best they can do is to replace the Contour box which means having to re-program all the favorite shows and loose the recorded ones.

Has anyone else had issues with recordings being deleted?

Thanks.

19 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I've read recorded shows older than 1 year will get automatically deleted.  We'd need a moderator to confirm.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

Cloud DVR recorded programs are deleted after one year.  Contour recorded programs are being deleted because of issues with the Contour platform.  Cox TV is more reliable for recording, playback and live TV.

MaxOC
        New Contributor III

Mine is NOT cloud DVR service

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Have you tried going to the list of deleted shows, and try to recover them?

MaxOC
      New Contributor III

The ones that are not manually deleted by me are not listed there.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Then you are definitely going to have to talk to Cox Tech support, because if it has just vaporized, then it may be either a bad dvr, either bad software or a failed/failing hard drive. Are you using contour, or Contour 2?

Duran_Duran
    New Contributor III

This issue has been reported here multiple times on multiple threads, going back years. I've experienced random deletions myself. I wonder how many other customers have had this problem but haven't posted here. The only moderator response has been to email them with account information.

MaxOC
      New Contributor III

There is not much else they can do. I have reported this several times to Cox support and got no results. The best they can do is ship you another crappy Contour box. They need a complete new solution to their DVR system. If there was another cable provide in my area I would have been long gone.

Allan
        @MacOC, I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this issue to cox.help@cox.com so we can help. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Dee47
    New Contributor

This has been happening to me for over a year.  I have recorded at least 20 episodes of an older series that is no longer airing, so I recorded replays to watch at a later date. .Some episodes randomly disappear for no reason.  They are not deleted by me and they are not in the Recently Deleted Items.  I can never get an answer other than, I just need to replace my DVR, which means I lose all of the recordings I have left.  Plus, I did that once and the problem still happens. Horrible service and horrible hardware.  

LisaH
      Hi Dee47. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        MaxOC
        New Contributor III

Cox support is unable to fix this issue and many other Contour related issues. All they do is to send a new Contour box and after some time the same issues come up again. I have been a Cox customer for over 25+ years and ever since the Contour boxes were sent out a few years ago the same problems occur. Shows get deleted randomly on their own, remote control and Contour do not communicate, lots of freezes and required restarts. In my opinion the problem is with the actual Contour boxes which is essentially a poorly designed computer with sub par hardware/software/firmware. I have gone through at least 4 Contour boxes in the past few years and they work ok for a while and the same issues come up again. I live in South OC and since Cox is the only cable provider in this region they don't really care since there is no competition unless you go to DirecTV.  How can they not address these issues when so many customers are complaining about the same problems all the time??? A complete unpleasant experience having to deal with Cox and its horrible product / customer service.