Forum Discussion

Evaluator
New Contributor II
2 years ago
Solved

Morning Boot Issue

Aug/Sep 2022 - DVR + 3x remote boxes

Most mornings over the last six weeks or so, we awake to find "boot" on the DVR and no TVs come on.  Only th "b" in boot is lit.  the letters "oot" are dim.

When this happens, SmartHelp and manual online reboot will not work.  

If you keep unplugging and plugging in the DVR and the remotes, at some point things work.  This is usually after an hour or two.

Cox support is zero help.  They had me take two of the remote boxes in for swap.  One because that TV (remote) is the first one we try, so they said swap that.  The second remote was swapped because it was an older model.

One of the two swapped boxes was DOA, so another trip back to Cox.  The system worked for a day, then the exact same failure.  Cox wanted to send a tech out, but I decided to take the DVR and move it to one of the remote TV sets.  That was to see if the problem followed the DVR.  After two days, same failure.

Is anyone else seeing anything like this?

• cloud is not a solution since what is currently on the hard drive is lost.

cox offers no mechanism to export a list of what is on the dvr. 

cox offers no mechanism to export what is scheduled to record.

your suggestions are all me doing manual stuff [watch quickly, determine what is available on demand or for re-record, write down what is scheduled to record] which entails a lot of effort, high possibility of being incomplete or inaccurate. guaranteed to raise blood pressure and dislike for cox's concept of 'solution'

i was hoping maybe someone knew of a way to actually grab information from the dvr [if it ever reboots]

* recordings

* list of recordings

* list of scheduled recordings

e.g. swap and/or copy the hard drive whether to new dvr hard drive or some other media.

cloud translates to streaming.  if i want to stream, why bother with contour?

no - none of what you've mentioned can be called a solution

82 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion