Forum Discussion

Groovee
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Amazon Prime telling me i'm connected to a VPN

Used Prime on Wednesday with no problems, tried watching again on Thursday and when I try to play something it says I'm connected to a VPN or proxy service.

I am not.

I've restarted and refreshed my cable box as well as unplugging the power supply from the cable box for nearly 20 minutes. I've signed out and signed back into Prime and it's still telling me to disable VPN or proxy service.

Bruce
    2 years ago

Technology wise...get something only designed and engineered to stream.  Streaming was just an afterthought on a cable-box to thwart subscribers from cancelling cable TV.  A cable-box does a lots of things but none very well.  Roku, for example, is only designed to stream and it decodes very well because it has a better chipset.

I'll assume Prime is a very good content-provider; however, when something goes wrong, their customer service stinks.  It was the same with SiriusXM so I cancelled my subscription.  Netflix is #1 on your list because Netflix only streams.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Team, I wanted to let you know that we're investigating this issue with our Amazon Prime partners. Thanks for bringing this to our attention and providing us with the data we needed to escalate this issue appropriately! We'll post another update as soon as we have further information. -Becky K., Cox Support Forums Moderator

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Great update...thanks!  Did you get your shoutout in the TA post?  It must be Becky Day.

RomeoSierra
      New Contributor

Hi Becky! Thank you for addressing this issue. Have you worked out any resolution between Cox and Amazon yet?

Allan
        @RomeoSierra, We are currently awaiting an update and we will be reaching back out once we have further information. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Internet search gets some results with this issue and the cause seems to be with Amazon.  Amazon has its hands in a lot of stuff and streaming is just one of its afterthoughts.  If you want to stream, get a device and a provider designed to stream...not a cable-box, not a shopping center.

nonaste
      New Contributor

I'm a little confused by your response, " get a device and a provider designed to stream...not a cable-box, not a shopping center."  I thought I'd take your advice so I plugged in Google search, "Streaming providers" and I got a list.  Amazon Prime Video was number 2 on the list.  Netflix is number one.  Can you please clarify?  Thanks.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Technology wise...get something only designed and engineered to stream.  Streaming was just an afterthought on a cable-box to thwart subscribers from cancelling cable TV.  A cable-box does a lots of things but none very well.  Roku, for example, is only designed to stream and it decodes very well because it has a better chipset.

I'll assume Prime is a very good content-provider; however, when something goes wrong, their customer service stinks.  It was the same with SiriusXM so I cancelled my subscription.  Netflix is #1 on your list because Netflix only streams.

swelliott
    New Contributor

I had the same issue as Groove and the same time frame.  Spent two hours with Cox tech service on phone - eight different people.  They finally thought the solution was to change out the router/modem.  They did an hour ago.  It did not solve the problem.  Still getting same message from Amazon.