Forum Discussion

Ron2001
New Contributor
2 years ago

Cable box will drop out channel video and audio now and again while streaming via Amazon Fire seems fine.

Cable box will drop out video and audio now and again while streaming, via Amazon Fire, seems fine. Have replaced only signal splitter with amplified version. Using modem, all signal strengths and SNR seem fine but cable channels still drop out now and again .Sometimes channel drop out is for minutes, other times, just for seconds. All cable connections from Cox underground cable junction at street to powered splitter are tight. To me, this all started after a close by lightening strike several months ago which did get into my receiver and TV. Do not understand Cox cable but appears cable carries multiple frequencies which carry actual digital video and audio. Could some active component in the Cox system for my street have one or more frequencies bad?? How to fix this. Oh, did replace Cox cable box a month ago before amplified splitter and same problem.  Help

14 Replies

Mdhixson
    New Contributor

I had similar issues that drove Cox and me mad for several months. After about 10 service calls and twice as many calls with support, the next guy I spoke to, who really knew what to look for, found a bad channel in large panel that fed my neighborhood. To my knowledge mine was the only home having issues. They fixed that issue and never had any of the frustrating symptoms of a weak digital signal again. Note that all measured levels my cable boxes were within acceptable limits, but that big panel was still serving up horrible internet speeds and enough picture freezes to lower the world’s ambient temps. 

Ron2001
      New Contributor

thanks. I suspect Cox cable issue on this street. My cox cable tap is box above ground with only one other house attached.

Becky
        Hi Ron, that sounds like an incredibly frustrating issue and it must certainly impact your enjoyment when watching Cox TV content. You've done some great troubleshooting on your own! It may be time to have a tech come out and ensure there isn't an intermittent signal issue to your home. So that my team can further assist you, please email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • @Ron2001, I recommend bypassing the splitter/amp temporarily to see if there is any change. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    lightening strike several months ago which did get into my receiver and TV

What do you mean...lightening fried your receiver and TV?  If each is on the same electrical outlet, maybe.  If it traveled through your cable system, your cable-box and modem(s) should have also taken a hit.  How's the grounding cable look at the NID bolted onto the side of your house?

You're correct about radio frequencies carrying data and some frequencies could be vulnerable to interference from other sources also broadcasting on the same frequency.  However, this would be on specific frequencies or specific TV channels.  Have you noticed if all channels drop or only a couple?

Care to ask the other House if they're experiencing the same symptoms?

Have replaced only signal splitter with amplified version.

Try a regular coaxial splitter.  Too much of a signal can be just as bad as too little.  Signals must be within a range.

Ron2001
    New Contributor

Had a service call by an experienced technician. Verified cox tap at street, various coax runs. Replaced several connectors and "barrels" and short cables and found a high noise level on one run of coax that is run under a floor. Confirmed that TV would drop out without any "loss of HDMI to a receiver first and then receiver sending HDMI to TV. Bottom line is seems to be fixed. Do have one run of coax with a problem but not Cox problem. If I get problem again with TV will have to determine new way to run Coax to location feeding set top box. Very satisfied with Cox service on the call. He checked every thing and did all he could. Cleaned up little problems here and there but little problems can add up in a whole system. Nosie inside house on coax is the real problem and my problem to fix or not..  

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      Confirmed that TV would drop out

Does this make sense?  Is the tech suggesting a faulty TV?

found a high noise level on one run of coax that is run under a floor

What is causing the noise?  What else is down here under the floor?  If streaming was fine, it has to be something broadcasting on the same frequencies as cable-TV channels.  What have you changed in the past few months?  Is there an HVAC system down there?  Does it have a wireless feature?  Did you nail something into the floor?

If this had just started, you changed something.  If you had a series of short cable segments joined with connectors and splitters, these needed to be replaced but you had these before the problem, right?