Forum Discussion

hollanw10
New Contributor
3 years ago

Contour Box freeze up all the time?

Have had my contour box freeze up all the time when changing channels. Have replaced this box four times now, still having issues why? Dose cox not have reliable equipment? You really should because of how much you charge for your services. Also have had two techs out to my house and a dude that called him quality control. Still having problems. Why? Do you not have folks that can fix problems? Getting ready to turn all this equipment in and cancel cox. 

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

First check the batteries in your remote.  If they're OK, you probably have a weak signal.

Does the Contour box only freeze when changing channel or does it also freeze when other remote buttons are pressed, e.g. pause, reverse, fast forward?  When a remote button is pressed, a signal is sent to a Cox server and a reply is sent back to the box.  If you have a signal issue, the box can freeze while waiting on a reply from the server it may never receive.  The fact you've replaced the box four times is further evidence the issue is probably caused by a weak signal and not the boxes.

What did the techs do when they were at your house?  Did they check your signal strength?  If not, schedule a tech visit to test your signal strength, including at the tap.  If your cable comes in from a pole, be sure to request a tech with a long ladder.  If the tech determines you have a weak main line signal, he will escalate the issue for correction at no cost to you.

hollanw10
      New Contributor

They did not check the pole, nether tech had a tall enough ladder to check this connection, not sure why? I would have to Agee with you this connection needs to be checked asap, I turned in another cable box yesterday for exchange still doing the same thing this morning. Need atech today to check all connection at the pole coming in to my house. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

It's possible you've had a bad box, but five or six in a row is unlikely. Exchanging cable boxes isn't going to fix your issue.

Does it freeze when you press pause, reverse or fast forward or just when changing channel?

bonzai2023
    New Contributor II

We have had a similar problem ever since we've gotten Contour. Our Contour service "freezes" during the day - where between the hours of 8am and 8pm we often have to press our remote 20-30 times to change a channel, fast forward, rewind, etc. but Volume and On/off work fine. Additionally during those same times, voice control doesn't register - keep getting error sound and message that it didn't hear our request. All of these issues clear up later in the evening for the most part.

We have the newest boxes and remotes, batteries are fine, Panoramic Wifi, Gigablast, rebooted boxes and updated programming at least 3 times, have had at least 5 tech visits and they all say the issue has been fixed. But, it hasn't. About to call them out again - only reason we haven't left Cox at this point is because it is a pain. Any hints as to what this issue might be?

DannyS

bonzai2023, we regret hearing about these past transgressions as we do appreciate you as a valued customer. We would love to be able to assist you in finding out how we may be of assistance regarding this concern.  Please reach us on Twitter at CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.