Forum Discussion

gm5
New Contributor
3 years ago

Cox without the box?

Is it possible to watch without the contour box? Can I just run the cable straight to the TV and scan for channels?

11 Replies

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

It is possible to watch cable TV without a Contour box, but you can't just run the cable directly to your TV.  At a minimum, you must have a mini box between the incoming cable and your TV to convert the digital signal.

gm5
      New Contributor

Thanks CurtB. So I'm trying to avoid having to use 2 remotes (this is for my 84 year old mom) and frankly the interface on the Smart TV is so much more intuitive and easy to use so looking for a solution where the channels will be right there on the TV's homescreen next Netflix and all that other good stuff.

gm5
        New Contributor

Sounds like I might be out of luck though.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I haven't seen the home screen of my TV in ages.  OP has a good point.  It'd be nice if remotes had a button to switch to the actual TV (OS) and not just what's connected to the TV, such as tapping the HDMI Input button of the Contour remote.

However, if you want to switch devices with the Contour remote, you have to use its HDMI Input button.  Perhaps connect an even simpler "home screen" to the TV.  Roku has a extremely simple interface.

As far as watching cable-TV without a Contour box, the answer is no because, as with all providers, Cox encrypts its programming, so you need to rent a Cox box to decrypt the programming.