This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Connecting new Sony TV without getting another HD box...

Equipment:

• In computer room, >2 Windows PC's, > a Cox Cable Gateway (router/modem) Technicolor 'CGM 4331', DOCSIS 3.1
  • In bedroom, > An LG OLED 'C7P' 55" TV, >and a Cox 'Contour' HD box w/DVR capability

Considering buying a Sony 43" 4k tv, the 'X85J', 120Hz, (for NFL and tennis primarily) for the computer room when the Boss is watching TV in the BR . I want to get the Sony working without having to get another HD box from Cox. When I was in my local electronics retailer, a Cox rep happened to be there though he was quite busy trying to answer questions from several people.

The Cox guy said there was a way to do it... what he called a 'client wireless box'. I couldn't get more details from him because it was too busy. Does anyone here know how the potential new Sony set would be connected? Thanks for any help.

Parents
No Data
  • When you asked about an alternative to an HD receiver, the rep recommended an alternative to the traditional, coaxial-cable, HD receiver:  the wireless client.  However, coaxial or wireless, it'd till be another box rental.

Is there a coaxial outlet in the Computer Room?  Due to copy-right protection and encryption nowadays, providers have locked down TV service so it'd be difficult...if not impossible...to get Cox TV without a rental box.

If the Sony is to be just sports, you could subscribe to a streaming service to watch these games, especially in a room with the router/modem.  If you want just general TV, there are also TV streaming services.

The wireless box would set between the Sony and Panoramic router.  The Sony communicates with the Wireless box > Wireless box communicates with the Panoramic...and vice versa.

Children
No Data