Forum Discussion

jimr49
New Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Call from "Cox Service"

Just completed a call from a representative about upgrading the software on my Contour DVR because it is incompatible with some new service. The call came in on 412-256-3820 and identified as potential spam by Verizon. They said our DVR was not compatible with some new service and needed a software upgrade. We were transferred to tech support and he told us for a $199 security deposit they could give us this $1700 upgrade and reduce our bill by $25 per month. It got way too weird after that and we hung up. My question is there any "upgrade" available that you are contacting people by phone to implement? Was this call legitimate or just another scam?

• Security deposit...for what?  Cox already bills us for the upcoming month so there are no security deposits.  It was a scam.  Good job to hang up.

As far as upgrades, I think the only recent one has been Cloud Storage but if we're renting a DVR, we'd just swap the box at a Solution Store.

Great info!

• Also...if it was a legitimate call...Cox is implementing STIR/SHAKEN so the number would have been preceded with a "" for Verified caller.  You can just assumed no "V" is not legitimate.

2 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Security deposit...for what?  Cox already bills us for the upcoming month so there are no security deposits.  It was a scam.  Good job to hang up.

As far as upgrades, I think the only recent one has been Cloud Storage but if we're renting a DVR, we'd just swap the box at a Solution Store.

Great info!

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Also...if it was a legitimate call...Cox is implementing STIR/SHAKEN so the number would have been preceded with a "" for Verified caller.  You can just assumed no "V" is not legitimate.