Forum Discussion

Tom2001
Contributor
3 years ago

Recording starts 45 seconds early and stops 45 seconds before end of show

Recently all of my DVR recording have started 45 seconds early and ends 45 seconds before end of show. The DVR time is 45 seconds fast in comparison to the actual time. Called Tech support and we reset/rebooted DVR multiple times but clock is still set 45 seconds to fast. Tech told me I would be charged $75 for a tech call if it was not a Coc problem. My work around has been to extend the time recording by 1 minute. Anyone have any suggestions other than a $75 tech call?  

10 Replies

• Tom2001 you're not the only one having this problem.  This started happening at our home a month ago.  After multiple posts, calls to Cox tech support, emails, and 2 site visits, problem still exists.  See here for my saga:
    https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_forum/f/tv-forum/29525/all-dvr-recorded-shows-start-1-minute-early-and-ends-1-minute-early

Cox please fix this!  And it's not just a Cox problem.  Search Google for DVR stops early, etc. Might be a sync network or clock problem.  I finally resorted to add 3 minutes to end of scheduled series and any one-time scheduled programs.

HELP Cox!!!

Tom2001
      Contributor

Thanks, I am doing this now, but now if I have overlapping recordings I'm limited to recording only 1 show. Is COX looking to fix this. I can't afford a $75 visit from COX support. Can you escalate this issue since others have been and currently are having the same problem.

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        @Tom2001
        As long as you have more than a Record-1 DVR you will still be able to record concurrent shows. If the technician finds problems on our side or with any of our equipment, no charges are levied. When the technician finds that the problem is with your equipment or inside of your home then there would be a charge for the visit. Only the technician can determine if a fee is waived due to an issue caused by Cox equipment or signal delivery. Most service calls are covered if you are subscribed to Cox Complete Care (for more information, please visit us at www.cox.com/.../completecare.html ).

Ben S.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Ok it been over 3 weeks. Cox support reported that a firmware patch has been installed that might fix the problem. This was my reply back to them today.

Ok I taped 2 shows ay different times yesterday and today. In both cases the DVR taped approx 30 seconds early and ended about 20 seconds before the end of the show. With this set up there are times now when adding 30 seconds to the end of the recording, I am only able to record 1 show at a time because of the overlapping 30 seconds. This ticket should be re-opened.

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      @Tom2001
      I know that making sure that all of your recorded content is available to you is important. The number of shows that you can record at one time is dependent on which level of DVR service you subscribe to. If you have Record 2 or above you are able to record more than one show at a time.

Ben S.
    scottyno
    New Contributor

I assume this is the same issue that a bunch of other people have talked about with regards to live sports. Every show now seems to be aired on a delay because of how they send out a signal. However the clock is still on actual time, so a 30 minute show that the cable box thinks starts at 9pm actually starts on the tv at something like 9:01, and ends at 9:31. I don't understand how cox is the only provider that has this issue or why they haven't figured out a fix yet.

phxdrmr
    New Contributor

Add mine to the list. Rewind and fast forward is a problem too. Doesn’t stop until after a number of frames have past. Like the OLD technology of VHS tapes. Couldn’t edit due to the tape advances. Need a equipment fix   not a operation snafu that LIMITS performance and value. Don’t you think COX?  

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @Phxdrmr
      I know how frustrating it is to have issues with your DVR. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name/full address for further troubleshooting.

Ben S.
        scottyno
        New Contributor

The DVR starting early and therefore ending early is clearly not a software issue. We already know what the issue is, cox just apparently either doesn't know how, or has no interest, in addressing it. I know that the mods on here aren't the ones making that decision, but like, it's a pretty huge issue that cox doesn't seem to be able to broadcast on the same lack of delay that plenty of other cable companies can.

If I can pull up a show on stream, which is always going to be delayed, and it's still ahead of cox cable "live" then that's a pretty big problem, especially in this era of social media where so much content is immediately discussed live in real time.