Forum Discussion

John2222
Contributor
3 years ago

All DVR recorded shows start 1 minute early and ends 1 minute early

This started a couple weeks ago.  For example, Good Morning America shows it will record on DVR from 7:00 to 9:00 am every day.  But when I go to watch it, I see a minute of the program before GMA, then GMA, then recording stops one minute too soon.

Same on all programs.  Rebooting doesn't help.  It is especially annoying when the last minute of a drama show misses the last finale, or it gets cut off.

Anyone else having this problem?  Contour 2 DVR.  Los Angeles area.  Any fix other than manually extending end-time to all programs?

16 Replies

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello @Edrocker,

I am so very sorry to learn of your DVR troubles. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
    DavidA2
    Former Moderator
    Hi John2222,

I can certainly understand your concern regarding the recordings. This is the first I have heard regarding that issue. We would be happy to look into that with you. To do that, we ask that you email us at cox.help@cox.com with your service address and a link to this forum post.

David
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      John2222
      Contributor

Done.  I just emailed info and link.  Note same problem has been reported in the past, but I didn't see what the resolution was if any.

John2222
      Contributor

I'm not sure if this is the total answer but here is what I have found out with help from Cox  (thank you).

One of the two DVRs in our home had "essential DVR" option which allows only 2 simultaneous recordings.  The other has "preferred DVR" option which allows 6 simultaneous recordings.  I think the problem existed when for example you already have 2 programs recording, but then a higher priority series recording starts a 1 minute earlier, then cutting off the lower priority program prematurely.  That's my theory anyway.

You can turn off the "auto pad recording" option this way (thanks Cox for this info):

Press the Contour button on your DVR's remote control and use the arrow button to scroll to the Settings menu (gear icon). Press the OK button on the remote to select Settings. Within Settings, scroll down to Preferences and press OK. Then press the OK button to select the General menu. Scroll down to the bottom of the General menu to "Auto Pad Recordings." Is this option current On or Off? If this option is enabled, press the OK button to disable/turn off this feature. You can then exit the Settings menu.

I have upgraded the essential DVR 2 option to the preferred  DVR 6 option.  Now monitoring to see if that works as intended now.

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @John2222

If you continue to have an issue please email us at cox.help@cox.com.

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator
    waffle
    New Contributor III

Check out the other threads posted here about the TV feed being delayed since they switched their encoding methods. I'm sure the delay on all TV channels is causing your DVR issues. It's an absolute mess now. 

John2222
      Contributor

After various strange problems, the DVR wouldn't boot and Cox just replaced it with new one.  At least everything is working again.

b3d
    New Contributor

I have been having the same problem along with general lag on using any controls. Today I tried a reboot to fix and now my cable box will not reboot and missing baseball game. Chatted online to try to fix. They tell me I need a $75 service appt. I guess that's what you get for $200 per month. 

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

A possible reason your cable box won't reboot is because it's defective.  If that's the case, your only option to fix it would be to replace it.  However, it's more likely caused by a signal issue.  A cable box won't reboot without a good signal.  The lag with remote response is another indication you have a weak signal.  When you enter a command with the remote, the command is sent to a Cox server and your cable box waits for a reply.  A weak signal will cause delays.

You should schedule a tech visit to check your signal strength.  Be sure to have it checked at the tap to determine if it could be an issue with the main line.  If that's the cause of your issues, you won't be charged for the tech visit.

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @B3d

Depending on the root cause of the issue, there may be a charge associated with the visit. If the issue is due to Cox equipment, or signal delivery, this fee will be waived.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @b3d

I truly regret the difficulty you've had with the cable and like to investigate. Feel free to copy and paste your above post into an email and send it to me at cox.help@cox.com. Also, include your full name and full street address.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
      John2222
      Contributor

I spoke too soon.  Cox replaced the DVR that wouldn't boot, replaced an amplifier & filter in the main line connecting cable service into our garage.  New DVR booted fine, but a day later I noticed again that all scheduled DVR programs start a minute early recording.