Forum Discussion

Cozdiver1
New Contributor
3 years ago

Cable requirements for new home

Contractor plans to install cable to 3 locations of my choice for 3 TVs.  On Cox web site it says a cable is also required for the internet modem/router so, if true, I think I need 4 cables. Is this right or can 1 cable be used for 1 of the TVs and the internet equipment at the same time?  

I'm trying to figure out where the internet equipment and DVR receiver will be located.  Are the 2 connected by a cable directly?  Can they be in separate locations if you run a cable between the 2?  Just want to get it right before the walls are closed up.

6 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

First, research all providers in your neighborhood.  if only Cox, then it'll be only Cox.

Second, research if Cox or the other providers have fiber in your neighborhood.

If Cox has fiber in your neighborhood, your equipment could connect at 2 different places:  an ONT or terminal in, for example, your new garage.  If your TV sets (cable boxes) need to connect to the terminal in the garage, contractor will need to run coax to the garage as well.

If no fiber, yes, 1 cable can serve 1 TV and an Internet modem at the same time.  Each device will connect to a segment of coax and each segment will then connect to a coaxial splitter and the splitter will connect to a wall plate.  This is, if the TV and Internet modem will be in the same room.

Also, kinda future planning here, ask if the contractor can also run Ethernet cable (at least Cat-6) and LAN jacks in each room.  This way, you won't have to rely on wireless connections from all rooms to 1 spot in your house.

Cozdiver1
      New Contributor

Answer helped a lot, thanks.  No fiber optic as of now.  On your comment of having the TV and internet modem in the same room, actually I had planned something different. The TV is going on a stone fireplace in the living room. I understand the receiver box will have to be on a mantle or somewhere close for the remote to work.  Behind the fireplace and laterally about 6 feet is a bedroom closet. I thought I would place the internet modem there.  Use your splitter idea, install that and appropriate cable connections while the walls are open. That way I don't have to find a place for the modem on the mantle too, less clutter look. Will that work or is there a benefit to placing it in the living room?

Excellent idea about running ethernet cable to rooms with PCs or smart TVs.  If the contractor will not for some reason, I'll check into getting an audio/video company to do it at the appropriate time.

Appreciate your input.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        receiver box will have to be on a mantle or somewhere close for the remote to work

Actually, the cable-box will need to connect to the TV via HDMI cable; therefore, if it's on the mantle beneath the TV, a 3-6 foot HDMI cable should reach.  Of course, you'd probably see the cable.  I'm sure you understand this but the remote wouldn't be your criteria for the location of your cable-box.  Most remotes are RF (not line-of-site IR) so it'd work anywhere in the room.

Cox does have a wireless cable-box but you'd need to rent their Panoramic router for this.  I'd avoid the Pano.  Really.

There are wireless HDMI kits (different companies) to connect a cable-box to a TV but you'd need to research if a Cox cable-box could negotiate HDCP with a third-party wireless HDMI transmitter.  I don't know.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Find Fiber Providers in Neighborhood:  www.highspeedinternet.com/
     - Enter Zip
     - Ignore Ad at top of results
     - In results, look for "Connection: Fiber" not "Connection: Cable," which is coaxial.