Forum Discussion

JLinton
New Contributor
3 years ago

Contour DVR is garbage

This will be a major rant.

We moved into our new house 2 years agon and since then nothing but issues with Contour's so called DVR.  At the time we signed up for it nobody said anything about it being a cloud DVR (guess I should have researched it more).  We came over from Directv because att was a major pain to deal with on billing but it seems Cox has followed in their footsteps. 

My issues are as follows.

1.   Recordings are cut short and not by just a minute or 2 but a 1 hour show records 5 secs, a few minutes and then just stops recording.

2.   Trying to rewind or fast forward a show at least 50% of the time results in delay and the screen appears to freeze and then the message that says there was an issue on our end or restart the box and tighten the connections on the box and at the wall.  This is a major load of ** from COX which is nothing more than an excuse for old, outdated and crappy equipment.

3.   Also whenever the internet goes down we cannot watch anything since the so called dvr is in the cloud and not a physical drive so there in lies another issue.

In my opinion if I wanted to stream everything which in case you did not realize it yet is exactly what you are doing, the contour box is nothing more than a large oversized Amazon Firestick, Roku Box or any of many streaming devices.  Oh and the picture quality on my 4k tv ** since I just discovered COX is downgrading the video to 720.

4.   If I call in or chat with someone the first thing they say is we need to restart your box and if I hear that again I will explode and at this moment I am about to throw COX in the garbage and go somewhere else where at least I will get the same crappy billing issues and most likely service as well and by the way I do not like Century Link for internet because of the issues we had when they were qwest.

End of rant 

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You're correct:  cloud recording is streaming.  You're just paying more to steam.  My only question about recording in general is what is worth recording nowadays?  Everything is uninteresting, talent-less garbage.

EricaW
    Former Moderator
    Hi, Jlinton.

Please allow me to apologize that the DVR service has not performed as expected. We appreciate all the steps you have taken to troubleshoot. It appears we are at the point when we should move to the next level of support. To proceed, please send an email to my team at cox.help@cox.com with your home address and link to this forums post. We look forward to assisting.

Erica
    Cox Forums Moderator
      PJS2
      Contributor

Erica: Is it possible for this customer to trade his "cloud" VCR for one with hard-drive storage. Asking for a friend...

CrystalS
        Former Moderator
        Hello @PJS2,

That is a great question. You are able to switch back and forth between the two types of storage but there is no way to continue to retain what is saved on either platform when moved to the other. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
        Cox Support Forum Moderator