Forum Discussion

WillieRides57
New Contributor II
3 years ago

New Cisco 4742HDC box does not reboot

I had a 8742HDC box for the last couple of years in our living room, one that a Cox technician had replaced after going through all of our house cabling.  He said at that time that we have too much transient "noise" on/in our home which makes no sense to me.  At the time I had an issue with the Guide showing "To Be Announced" for weeks on end and recently this started again and I finally decided to take a trip to local Cox store to exchange the box since NOTHING in our home cabling has changed and all connections are solid.  The clerk took my 8742HDC box and gave me a 4742HDC instead.  She said if you don't use the DVR the 8742 is not necessary.  I got home and connected every cable to the new box and waited for it to reboot.  It never came online only showing the script "Loading, please wait".  I tried this 12-13 times to no avail.  I  called Cox technical support for help, still nothing.  I ran a separate cable from the house entrance directly to the Cisco box-still nothing.

The next day I drove back to a different Cox store (the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result?!) and exchanged for another Cisco box.  I reconnected everything again the next morning and still nothing. I then pulled the working Cisco box from our bedroom and installed it in the living room, the problem location and it works just fine (except the Guide still reads "To Be Announced". The response from tech support is "We can send a technician out."  I said, to be quite frank I'm ready to cancel my service.  What the heck is going on with your crappy service???

Super frustrated with expensive non-service.

5 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @WillieRides57

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. When you were swapping out the scale box did you notice a splitter or amp connected to the coax cable?

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
      WillieRides57
      New Contributor II

We had a visit from a service tech on Thursday and this time I was able to meet with him in person. Because I work a regular 40+ hour-a-week job this has been impossible in the past. Thank goodness service tech Mark listened to me.  For the last few years no one at Cox has LISTENED to me when I tell them they needed to look at the service drop from the shared power pole. I have been in the customer service business for over 40 years and this is what is super frustrating. Mark went through all of his signal checks within the home, at the entrance to the home and guess what?  A signal loss from the service drop.  I think Cox should discount service charges to my family for turning a blind eye to this.  

Allan
        @WillieRides57, I recommend sending us and email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    we have too much transient "noise" on/in our home

Did the tech investigate the possible source of the noise?  There isn't much to coaxial cable splitters and do get faulty with time.

WillieRides57
      New Contributor II

It was not resolved until today.  A crew came out and replaced the service drop cable from the shared pole and service is restored.