Forum Discussion

Peppy22
New Contributor II
3 years ago

TV top wifi box delay vs mini box

I have a wifi TV box and 2 mini TV boxes. When watching the exact same channels on the 3 TV's, the TV connected to the wifi box is delayed by about 30 seconds. In other words, I can watch a TV connected to a mini box via coax and HDMI cable and then walk to the room with the TV connected to the wifi box connected to the TV via HDMI and see the same channel but it's about 30 seconds behind what I've already viewed in the other room. WHY?

Another issue:  When watching the TV connected to the wifi box the local channel 8 (in Las Vegas) has a lag in the sound on live programs, e.g. the local news. WHY? This is ONLY on channel 8 and only on live broadcasts.  Yes I have reset everything multiple times. Yes the SAP is off. Yes I have turned off the sound bar connected to the TV. No, the wifi is not affecting anything else and no other channels are having the sound/picture delay issue. Yes the TV has a delay that I can compensate sound vs picture but it is already at the minimum adjustment. The picture needs to be delayed not the sound. There is no delay for channel 8 when watching either of the TV's connected to the mini boxes.

These are 2 separate issues that I have not been able to resolve. The first one mentioned really is not a problem but I'm just curious. The second issue is annoying when trying to watch channel 8 news. Thanks!

7 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Peppy22

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Does this also happen on channel 1008?

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator

Peppy22
      New Contributor II

Yes. Also on channel 1008. The video lags the sound. Again, this only occurs with the local channel during live telecasts. Commercials are not affected. And again, I can use the delay feature on the TV but it is already at the minimum setting and adjusting it only exacerbates the problem. Additionally, if I was able to adjust it, then I'd have the opposite issue on channel 8 during all NON LIVE broadcasts and on ALL of the other channels all of the time.

Peppy22
      New Contributor II

3 different brands of TV's all at the same location. The difference is 2 of the TV's use the mini box while the one with issues is connected to the wireless DVR box.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

My setup is different from the OP's.  My mini-box and Contour 1 receiver are synced, but they're currently about 12 seconds delayed from the same channel on https://watchtv.cox.com.   That minor delay isn't an issue for me.  If I watched both at the same time, the Contour receiver would just be an on-going instant replay.

Peppy22
      New Contributor II

Ya, the delay between the TV's isn't really an issue I am just curious as to why the delay. I would guess it has something to do with the wifi DVR and the way the signal is processed. The real issue is the delay in the sound on live local broadcasts. Specifically, Channel 8 / 1008 Las Vegas.