Forum Discussion

Lunamom
New Contributor II
3 years ago

Error message !RDK-03004

I have received the error message RDK-03004 the last three weeks. Says there seems to be some trouble, tighten connections and restart. Unplug, wait 10 minutes, check connections, and nothing. Contour box sticks at 1PST. Error only happens between 6 pm -10 pm, lasts overnight and comes back on itself by 5 am. Never error message during the morning or afternoon. At my wits end with this. Customer for over 20 years, and can’t get this fixed. Called help desk, they don’t ever know what the code means. Ugh. Thank goodness for steaming services. 

28 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • @Lunamom, This sounds like the box is having trouble finding the signal for the service. Are there any splitters on the cable line going to the modem? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator. 

Lunamom
      New Contributor II

No Splitters. We have one DVR contour box and 3 other boxes, all connected directly. It only happens late afternoon, evening, never during the day. It will last overnight, and by 4-5 am the system is fine. Makes me think this is a Cox issue, but it never shows there is an outage. You can continue to watch the same channel, but can't change channel or use Contour functions. If you try to restart or unplug system, you need to wait until the next morning for it to reset.

Allan
        @Lunamom, I appreciate you checking for me. I recommend sending us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com so we can take a closer look. Thanks. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    lisad67213
    New Contributor

I have been getting the exact same issues for the past 4 days including my internet slowing down to dial up speed. Tech this morning said to call back when I completely lost all services. Um no. I have heard everything from it is my remote to I have 10-20% packet loss and I need to reboot my modem. I can reboot the modem and the box until I finally give up and in a few hours, things are magically fixed. This is not equipment issues, this is a Cox issue.

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Lisad67213

Are you referring to your internet modem or getting the error message RDK-03004 on your contour box?

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
      Lunamom
      New Contributor II

Exactly! It’s a Cox issue, but no one can figure it out. They throw things at the problem to see if it will stick. Tech visits to the house say the signal strength bot outside and inside are fine. It didn’t happen while they were here. Usually happens in the evening and the weekends, so when use will be busy. Maybe they need to check the signal strength at night. If I call for help they tell me there is no outage, but can’t reset as they show my service offline not responding. Yet internet is fine. I just want it fixed. I want to be able to use my service with no interruptions. All my remotes are less than a week old. Tech says the signal from the remote to box may be the problem since I can’t restart my TV box with remote. Only by unplugging. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

As I said in an earlier post, remote commands require a response from a Cox server.  If you're having a signal issue, the response may not be received.  That's why your remote doesn't always work.  Was it a contract tech that said the signal from the remote may be the problem?

Do you know any of your neighbors well enough to ask them if they're having similar issues in the evening hours?  Because it only happens at night, it sounds like a main line issue that could be affecting your neighbors too.  If it is, ask them to contact Cox, if they haven't already,  That could help Cox identify the problem which could result in it being escalated and the solution being found. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Another ghost sighting.  That last tech visit must have fixed the OP's issue.  It would have been helpful for others if she had come back here one last time to post what the tech did.

Lunamom
      New Contributor II

I was waiting a few days before reporting since, the first tech "fixed the issue, but within 3 days, it went back to doing the same error message.

The second tech did fix the issues, or at least it's been 6 days since the last error message. It has "restarted" itself twice in during that time period, but no error message, and came back on within 5 minutes. The second tech checked the line at the road, the line at the box, the inside lines and all the boxes and determined it was the line from the road to the box, which was buried - he put in a new line and over the ground and Cox buried it within the week. The last week we just look at each other and can't believe we have a working cable system. Didn't realize all the stress it put on each person in the household. On the upside, both my mom and husband learned how to stream on their televisions, as that is all we had for the month.

Now to call Cox and see if they will credit some time on our bill, since we did not have cable consistently for the the last month.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Glad you were able to get it fixed.  Thanks for posting back.