Forum Discussion

MT671
New Contributor II
3 years ago
Solved

DRM set on ALL non-local Hampton Roads channels

It appears all the non local channels in the Hampton Roads area have been set to DRM today.  Can someone explain why?  I'm assuming it has to do with the change to mp4 but this should not effect the DRM settings.  Apparently it was a problem in other areas and Cox has corrected it.  Can someone at Cox please get it fixed?  

https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_forum/f/tv-forum/27991/new-drm-in-cox-oc-land 

• Update -
    Just to recap - I'm using 2 HDHR tuners and rgsperl is using 4 Tivo's. We both live in the same geographical area and we both lost all channels except for the local channels at the same time, approx 5:15pm on Wednesday.  When I went to the Cox store to replace the cablecards the young lady who helped me said that 6 other people had also come into the store that day to replace cable cards.  She also said that she has never had that many people come in for cable card replacements ever.  She said the normal is 1 or 2 every 2-3 months!

Anyhow, I Spoke with Scott who claimed to be a Cox support supervisor in VAB.  Scott agreed, with 2 folks losing all channels except  the local ones at the same time and with 2 different type appliances and multiples at that, the problem is on their end.  Scott said he put in a ticket for the engineers and hopefully we'll get some resolution.  Here's' hoping...

24 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    MT671
    New Contributor II

Update -
    Just to recap - I'm using 2 HDHR tuners and rgsperl is using 4 Tivo's. We both live in the same geographical area and we both lost all channels except for the local channels at the same time, approx 5:15pm on Wednesday.  When I went to the Cox store to replace the cablecards the young lady who helped me said that 6 other people had also come into the store that day to replace cable cards.  She also said that she has never had that many people come in for cable card replacements ever.  She said the normal is 1 or 2 every 2-3 months!

Anyhow, I Spoke with Scott who claimed to be a Cox support supervisor in VAB.  Scott agreed, with 2 folks losing all channels except  the local ones at the same time and with 2 different type appliances and multiples at that, the problem is on their end.  Scott said he put in a ticket for the engineers and hopefully we'll get some resolution.  Here's' hoping...

Allan
      @MT671, It sounds like we may need to take a look into this cable card issue for you. Please send us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description of this concern to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
        scott_p
        New Contributor

I emailed Cox help as you suggested. The response I received said that I should get a Contour or mini box to view those channels. That is not exactly the solution I was looking for.

scott_p
      New Contributor

I have been running into the same issue today and have been unable to resolve it. It looks like other regions had their fix done at the Cox level and not at the individual customer level.

MT671
        New Contributor II

At this point we need to get as many folks with the same problem to post to show this is a Cox problem, not an individual problem. 

Scott, what type of device are you running a cablecard in?

JG1
    New Contributor

I also live in HR and had the same thing happen to me today. I use a Tivo Bolt. When I spoke with CS, we found that the information for the CableCard ID and Host ID were not paired. After being re-paired and refreshed, all my channels came back

SharonL
    Former Moderator
    Hello,

This appears as if you may need someone to investigate your account personally. We would be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Sharon
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    MT671
    New Contributor II

Day 2 - After speaking with 4 different folks at support it was decided I need to replace both cablecards.  This was done and I still have the same problem all non-local channels are DRM status. 

I was told the problem is on my end, but that's just not correct.  Since I can see the channels but I can't tune them because the DRM flag is set on all the non-local channels. I've been told there is no level 2 support for cablecards so I'm at a dead end.

Cox - the problem is on your end - this is not the first time the DRM flags have been incorrectly set as noted in the above link indicating the same problem in other markets which needed to be corrected.  Please fix the DRM flags.

rgsperl
      New Contributor

I live on the Peninsula.  I’m having the same issues you describe with a twist.  I have six Tivos and four went out simultaneously Wed at about 5:15 pm.  The other two, older non-bolts are still working fine. 

I spent most of yesterday exchanging e-mails with cox tech support and they tried a bunch of different things with no luck.  Cox is coming out Sun, but I wonder if it’s a waste of time.

MT671
    New Contributor II

I'm on the Peninsula too and mine when out about the same time Wednesday so it's obviously something Cox did on their end.  When I get home this afternoon I'll be back on the phone with tech support but I'm not holding my breath....

solareon
    New Contributor

Can confirm this issue has happened to me in Hampton Roads too. Using an HDHomeRun Prime.

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @Solareon
      Are you able to turn to Channel 1987 and see programming on it? Please make sure that you run a channel scan and make sure that your devices are MPEG4 compatible.

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        MT671
        New Contributor II

The HDHomeRun Prime devices are MP4 compatible, the problem is the DRM flags are improperly set which will not allow the channels to be tuned.  This is a documented problem which occured in Omaha, NE, Tulsa, OK and Orange County, CA when the systems were changed over.  All 3 of those areas have fixed their problem, why can the Hampton Roads area not?

Twice now I've been told an engineer would call me and twice that has not happened,  I'll give it one more try today but it looks like Cox and I will be ending our 25+ year relationship.  If Cox can't fix it I'll just go to a streaming service and save myself a fist full of cash.

dfritz
    New Contributor

I am having same issue.  Cox tech support appears not to know anything about this issue. STILL.  They keep spending hours with customers as if they have never heard of the issue.  The problem is exactly as you described.  Over a month ago, I spent over 2 hours on the phone with a tech who seemed unaware of the problem. The bottom line is Cox is now charging the same as they charge for a cable mini box but you are only allowed to access local Hampton Roads channels.    This issue is particularly frustrating because Cox is now only allowing me to access local Hampton Roads channels when the exact same channels are available as Over The Air channels completely FREE of charge to all of us.  I had no trouble accessing channel 1987 before their recent update.  Now I can't access that either.  Someone failed here.  It is bad enough I pay a sports fee monthly when I do not watch a single sporting event.  If this issue is not resolved within the next 30 days, I will cancel Cox Cable.  COX is cheating its customers AND playing dumb about it.  At the very least, they should admit this change was intentional and stop wasting customer time and tech time troubleshooting an issue they have no intention of resolving.

LisaH
      Hi Dfritz. The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us via email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Thanks, Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    ChristopherC
    Former Moderator

Due to evolving use of the Internet to view and transmit video programming, Cox must make network upgrades to ensure its programming remains secure. If you are finding that you are unable to view or record select channels please be advised of the following:

• If you are using a PC-based CableCARD-enabled device from companies such as SiliconDust (e.g., HDHomeRun Prime), ATI (e.g. ATI – TV Wonder) or Ceton (e.g. infiniTV) you must use equipment and software that is DRM-compliant to view DRM-protected channels.

If you wish to record DRM-protected channels, these devices require that Windows Media Center (WMC) must be used to support copy protection.  Some of these devices may require WMC to even view copy-protected channels.  Unfortunately, Microsoft announced in 2015 that WMC would no longer be supported beginning with Windows 10. 

Please contact your device manufacturer if you have additional questions about compatible equipment or software configurations. 

• If you are using a TiVo and are unable to view or make recordings please contact TiVo. 

After you have contacted the device manufacturer, if you are still having problems please let us know.