Forum Discussion

must
New Contributor
4 years ago

DVR not working; cnF9 error

My DVR box (Cisco 8742HDC) stopped working around 1230 PM. I checked the cables (use a splitter with my panoramic wifi modem) and tried to reset it from the COX website, but received the  "unable to reset receiver, try again in a few minutes" message. I tried again about ten minutes later, no change.

I unplugged the power source from the box, waited two minutes then plugged it back in. It cycled through to the "Welcome to COX" screen but never actually made it to the program guide. After trying this a third time, my area had a thunderstorm which caused a power outage for about an hour. Once it returned, the box went through the usual boot up process, but now is frozen with the "Welcome to COX. We're loading the Interactive Program Guide" screen and the front of the box reads the "cnF9" error code (or config as I have seen in other posts).  

It has been like this for the past 2 hours and still has not returned.  Every once in a while the "Please wait" blue dots that form a circle will move, as if to show progress.

I have had this box about four months after having the previous model for four years. That box "died" after having a similar issue where it would not record and then it froze on the DVR recordings screen. I lost all my recordings that time and am mentally prepared to lose the recordings on this DVR again.

Is it time for another box? 

3 Replies

• @Must@ng19, Assuming that your internet is working properly, it does sound like the box needs to be swapped out for a new one. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      must
      New Contributor

Yes, the internet is working properly. Now the error on the cable box changed to IA09  "error starting initial app." Thanks for the reply.

Allan
        @Must@ng19, At this point, I do recommend swapping the box out for a new one. Please let us know if the issue continues after doing so. We will be here to help. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.