Forum Discussion

orma6
New Contributor
4 years ago

Recording a show in progress

I'm inquiring to find out if this has been fixed or added as an option, as it is EXTREMELY frustrating.

How is it that as a function of "Record", while remaining on the same channel, I cannot record the program in entirety. UNLESS, I start recording the program at the very start of the program? 

For such a forward thinking product, the Contour 2 DVR, This must be addressed. As there are past posts about this clearly this is not a 1 off, and it is something that subscribers want.

If this has been addressed and rectified, my apologies. If there is anything that I need to change/update on my end please inform me and I will do my part. below I reference a post from 4 years ago.

Thank you,

Malcolm

"Pauldv

It looks like the DVR you had before the Contour 2 DVR was a Rovi DVR. It had a completely different platform. Unfortunately, the Contour 2 DVR will only start recording once you hit the record button, even if you've hit rewind to the beginning of the show that you're trying to record. You're not doing anything wrong, the problem is that the new DVR isn't capable.

StephanieS
Cox Support Forums Moderator"

forums.cox.com/.../60731

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ATLAS119
    New Contributor II

So they replaced a dvr that functioned properly with an inferior one...sounds about right. smh

kim_s
    New Contributor

So if you are watching a show on a delayed basis and want to record the next one, you have to catch it when it just starts although you might be still in the middle of the one you are watching.  OMG is this ever annoying!  A step backwards. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

The best way to record an entire program is to schedule the recording.  When you record a program in-progress, it records the live stream, not the buffer.  (I remember when it recorded from the buffer, but that was a long time ago).  Contour and Cox TV both record live.  If you want to watch a program later that's already in progress, you should begin recording at the point you begin viewing.  If it was the current channel, up to the last 30 minutes will be in the buffer for Contour (hour for Cox TV).  You can reverse until the start of the buffer and watch until the point when you began recording.  I've done this for sporting events I prefer to watch delayed in order to enable fast forward through timeouts and half-times.  Recording is just to ensure I don't miss any of the game should I switch to another game during half-time. 

kim_s
      New Contributor

I just upgraded from the "long time ago" system, so I'm just finding this out.  Things I know I want to record, I schedule.  Many times I don't know I want to record something until it has started (and maybe I am called away).  It isn't terrible, but it is annoying to have less capabilities than I used to, though in other areas I have more.  

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

It turns out Cox TV will record from the buffer.  I just tested recording the current channel from the buffer with Cox TV and it worked.  The recording started from approximately 25 minutes earlier (when I selected the current channel).  It has to be a buffered channel.  That's the last <number of channels that may be watched/recorded simultaneously> channels that have been viewed since the cable box was last turned on.  A program in-progress can only be recorded from the start of what's in the buffer.  You can't turn to a random channel for the first time and record a program in-progress from the beginning.  Have you tried recording an in-progress program with Contour that you've watched from the beginning, i.e. entire program is in the buffer?

kim_s
    New Contributor

Here is what happens:  I'm watching something and have watched it from the beginning, so it is in buffer.  I decide to record the whole program, so I press record.  It always starts recording from that point.  Even if I rewind to the program beginning and then press record, it still only records from the current live moment. What I haven't tried is pulling up the guide and setting record there on something that is in progress.  Is that what you did?  Or perhaps there is a setting somewhere that I need to fix? I'd love to figure this out!!

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

No, I was watching a live channel when I started playback for a recorded program.  When I dropped out of the recorded program, I pressed REC to record the current channel (what I was watching before recorded program playback).  It began recording that channel from before I began watching the recorded program.

I was also able to record, from the start of the buffer, other channels I had recently watched.  The amount of program recorded depended upon the amount of programming in the buffer for each channel.

I have Cox TV and you have Contour.  It's a difference in how the two platforms work.  Cox TV records from the buffer.  Contour records from the live stream, regardless of how you start the recording.  There isn't a setting to fix that.