Forum Discussion

SECNAV
New Contributor
4 years ago

Contour TV Online - Flash Player retirement

Cox's Contour TV (https://watchtv.cox.com/listings) requires Flash Player to be enabled when accessed with Chrome. Adobe has announced Flash Player will be retired on December 31st, 2020. Does Cox have plans to migrate from Flash to open web technologies to maintain this website after Flash Player is retired? If not you will have hundreds of disappointed Cox Customer who use Contour TV on Chrome browsers. Thank you very much, I hope to hear a response soon. SIgned, Kind Of Anxious!

10 Replies

Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

there is no replacement plugin that needs downloaded HTML5 is built into all browsers already

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I didn't say anything about a plugin.  The switch to HTML5 was probably included in the website update I mentioned that occurred on or before 11/18/2020 and would have been the replacement for the Flash requirement.

• Curious what Cox's plans are here. Flash has just over two weeks before it reaches end of life and Adobe has said that starting January 12th 2021 they are going to disable it entirely, blocking it from initiating playback at all. We definitely need some sort of update from Cox.

SECNAV
        New Contributor

Blocking Flash and Contour is working fine. Thank you! 

• Getting message "Adobe Flash Player is blocked" in Chrome now trying to watch CNN on Cox Contour. Is there a fix for this?

Allan
      @Bill Wallace, I recommend clearing cookies/cache and then rebooting your device. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

just tried chrome and works fine for me no error

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III
      To fix your Chrome issue with Adobe on the Contour website:
      Steps 1-8: Delete watchtv.cox.com cookies only
      1. On your computer, open Chrome.
      2. At the top right, click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon .
      3. Click Settings.
      4. Click Privacy and security.
      5. Click Cookies and other site data.
      6. Scroll down and click See all cookies and site data.
      7. At the top right, search for watchtv.cox.com.
      8. On the right, click Remove watchtv.cox.com .
      9. Close Chrome.
      10. Go to the Contour website: https://watchtv.cox.com