Forum Discussion

Noneya
New Contributor
4 years ago

HBO Max on demand

You have got to be kidding me when you tell me that I either need to buy a new TV, buy some product to attach to my TV, or watch movies or shows on a premium network that I ALREADY PAY FOR!!! Why is there no option for the app for HBOMAX like the one for Netflix and Amazon or a way for me yo be able to watch OnDemand? Please explain this.

7 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Noneya

It's an HBO product and that's their design Cox just provides the content. To get HBO Max, simply go to play.hbomax.com, or install the HBO Max app on your iPhone via the App Store, Android using Google Play, or on a compatible smart TV (use your TV or media player's channel store to find and install HBO Max). Then sign in using your provider's credentials. = JJ
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

If I can paraphrase the question, why is Contour locked down to certain apps?  Why is Netflix, Prime and for music, Pandora, our only choices?  Does Cox have a non-compete clause with these companies?

Personally, I don't feel a cable box should be the centerpiece of our entertainment programming because streaming devices and TV sets have much better chipsets to decode data.  However, since HBO Max is limited to certain hardware platforms, Cox should include it in the app package of Contour.

Andrew_Wees
        Contributor III

I think Cox follows Comcast on apps since Comcast owns the software cox just licenses it.

baldy66
    New Contributor

I agree.  It's so frustrating! We have a 5 year old Samsung TV that isn't able to add the HBOmax app, a Roku, and a cox contour subscription that doesn't have the HBOMAX app.  HBOMAX is included with our package and we have no way to watch it on our TV.  It has me rethinking my cox package and wondering if I should subscribe to my premium channels  through Prime TV.  

frankiedog10
      New Contributor

I have the exact same set up (5 year old Samsung tv, roku box and HBO max is included in my package). I want to watch on my tv, not on my iPad. I’m very disappointed and will be rethinking my choices. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.