Forum Discussion

DesertDays
New Contributor
4 years ago

Contour Remote Issues - RF vs. IR Remote

I've been having terrible issues in our Family Room with the IR remote recognizing the input.  I have to hold the remote in the air at an angle to make it work, which is a very irritating experience.  The box has to sit on a shelf because of the configuration of the built in entertainment center in the room (previous owner), and we have a sectional couch, but I'm still within 10 feet of the receiver.  

Does Cox have the option for RF remotes like DirecTV has which would eliminate the problem?  It's an aggravating experience watching TV in the Family Room.  

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What's the make and model of your Cox remote?  Mine is the XR-11RF and I assume it's RF.

DesertDays
      New Contributor

Hi, it's an XR-11 but not radio frequency, it's infrared.  I'd like RF.  

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The XR-11 is RF and IR.  RF for Contour.  IR for TV.  Try repairing it with Contour.

bearone2
    Contributor III

the remote needs to be pointed somewhere near the device you're trying to control!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

That's true for infrared but not radio.  When I'm working at my table, I can't even see the cable box because not only is my couch in the way but the cable box is nestled within my entertainment console 25 feet away.  However, from the table, I can just press the buttons on the remote without even picking it up for it to work.  RF is definitely the gooder tech.

PJS2
    Contributor

Is it possible that you have something electrical interfering with the signal? An RF remote should work even outside the room in most cases. If not, trade it in at your Cox store! It's defective.

Edit - could also be weak batteries...

PJS2
      Contributor

It should be noted that your TV and other ancillary items are most likely IR controlled and need "line of sight" to work. The Cox box is RF.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

True and is probably the case because OP wrote, recognizing the input, and input would be the Input Select on the remote to inventory what's connected to the TV.  Meaning, display what input devices are connected to the TV (cable box, Roku, DVR, etc).

DesertDays
      New Contributor

Am I able to change the XR11 to RF vs. IR?  I can't find good documentation/instructions for that. 

DustinP
        Hello,

The XR11 remote is in RF mode when unpaired, but voice control won’t work and the remote must be pointed directly at the front of the receiver. If this is something you want to try, then you may take these steps here to unpair the remote: www.cox.com/residential/support/pairing-or-unpairing-the-contour-2-remote.html. If you rather not use the XR11 remote unpaired, then you may pair it back to the box.

Dustin
        Cox Support Forum Moderator