Forum Discussion

IntenseNV
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Countour 2 Remote won't Pair with Samsung Soundbar

I have a new LG television and used my Cox Contour 2 remote to turn the TV on and off.  No problems.  However, when I went to control the Samsung Soundbar, which is about 5 years old, HW-J450, the remote would not pair.  I searched several different sites for additional codes, no luck.  I tried 31495, 32660, 31868, 32137, 31304, 32609, 22609, 31949, 21014, 20045.  None of the codes would work. Any suggestions?  I have the Samsung Soundbar in the "optical" output from the LG television.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I hate to use a seperate remote to turn off and on the Soundbar. 

thanks 

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      IntenseNV
      New Contributor II

thank you for the response.  I did use the cox link and followed all of the code searches, plus looked on line for more codes.  Nothing worked.  

The tv is a new LG 2020 model, OLED65CXPUA,

The input was set up the Best Buy installers.  From the television the Optical Digital Audio Out is used to the sounder Optical In. 

Dave

IntenseNV
      New Contributor II

upon trying one more time, I find that once I use the Samsung sounder remote to turn it on, the LG remote will increase or decrease the volume, but the Cox remote will not. 

THE LG remote will not turn the sounder on, however.  And neither will the Cox remote.  Perhaps Samsung has discontinue this model of sounder and no longer supports the codes or whatever...I don't know, just guessing.  

IntenseNV
      New Contributor II

I will try this code. 

was the answer to your optical question ok?  Or do you suggest another input? 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I don't understand why Best Buy would connect via optical.  Your TV has 4 HDMI ports...to include HDMI Audio Return...and your soundbar also supports HDMI.  An optical cable came with the soundbar, so perhaps Best Buy thought they HAD to use it.

Besides your cable box, what else do you have connected to your TV as a video source (Roku, Blu-ray, media server, wireless streaming stick, etc)?  I'm just curious if Best Buy went optical because you had no more HDMI ports on your TV available.

I don't know if using HDMI for audio would solve your problem with codes because I'm just curious.  Perhaps you could call Best Buy.  Before you do, however, do you have a spare HDMI cable?

If you don't want to mess with cables and Best Buy, you could try a few other things to power on/off your soundbar.  I looked through the User Manual for your HW-J450 and found TV SOUNDCONNECT and BLUETOOTH POWER ON.

TV SOUNDCONNECT may only work with LG TV sets.  It advises other TV brands may work, but I doubt it.

If you enable BLUETOOTH POWER ON and have paired the soundbar to your LG, the TV may turn the soundbar on/off.  You may have to experiment.  I'm hoping BLUETOOTH POWER ON doesn't mean your TV will then send audio data to the soundbar via wireless signal.  I'd prefer a wire for audio data.  It's worth a look and is on page 19 of the Manual.

I'd first update the firmware of your soundbar.  You'll need a computer to download and save the firmware to a USB storage stick.  Instructions to update firmware are on page 23.

If no codes work as now configured, replace optical with HDMI and code again.

If powering on/off remains a problem, check out BLUETOOTH POWER ON.

downloadcenter.samsung.com/.../HW-J450-ZA_ENG-02805A-0116.pdf