Forum Discussion

Pixel
New Contributor
4 years ago

Some channels pixellated

For the past few days, some channels are pixellated - not all, just some.  The contour box is connected directly to the cable outlet, no splitter involved.   ???   Very annoying, Cox is not cheap.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • @Pixel, Plesae check the coaxial cable to the cable box and make sure that it is snug. Also, please power cycle the cable box and let us know if there is any change. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    mwsteele
    New Contributor

I’ve had this problem for months and Cox refuses to fix it.  It sometimes happens during the day, but it is much worse in the evening during prime time viewing.  If Cox doesn’t fix it soon (and there is no indication they are even concerned) I’m going to discontinue my TV service and watch TV via the internet and my Fire TV and numerous apps. I have a feeling that is the direction Cox wants us to go so they no longer have to support TV channels and just concentrate on internet. 

LisaH
      Hi Mwsteele. The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone, and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address and some of the channels that are affected along with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    msmith140
    New Contributor

Just came here to check on this.  We have three channels (in Fairfax Co., VA) -- 70-72 -- that intermittently pixelate to the extent they are unwatchable.  I saw a post earlier today that suggested this could be caused by a household electronic device (microwave, etc) that's active on the same frequency as the affected TV channels.  The question is, how to track down the offending interference source.  How can I find out what frequency range channels 70-72 are using?  And is there a tester device (on Amazon or wherever) that can detect radio waves at a specified frequency? 

Alternatively, is it possible to shield the cox wiring where it's exposed so as to block or reduce interference? 

Thanks!

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

Intermittent pixelation on individual channels can also occur with a mainline signal issue that's affecting the frequencies for those channels.  This can be detected by scheduling a tech visit to check your signal.  If your dropline is attached to the mainline at a pole, be sure to ask for a tech with a long ladder.  Ask the tech to check your signal at the tap (Cox equipment that connects the dropline to the mainline).  If the tech doesn't find an issue with Cox's signal or equipment, you'll be charged for the service call.  I'm not trying to sell you anything, but I'd suggest subscribing to Cox Complete Care before scheduling the visit.  You can cancel CCC after 90 days.  If you cancel before then, you'll be charged for the service call.