Forum Discussion

RLVOC
New Contributor
5 years ago

Contour: Slow, slow

My cable tv is slow on many things.  When I try to go to Guide, Info, switch channels,... take 10, 15 seconds on each move.  When trying Netflix, HBO on Demand,... once I press play on any show, connection is so slow the display is blurry, pauses or loses sound.  Have tried rebooting and switching out Contour box.  Have checked connectios.  Have sought support by phone.  Nothing works yet.  Cox employees all advise the this isn’t the experience I’m supposed to be having.   What should I do next?

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'm also unsure about the blurriness because the thing about a digital signal, you either get the signal or don't.  Digital is not like analog because if an analog signal is within tolerance (+/- x volts), it'll display something albeit ghostly, flickery, grainy.  Digital is either on or off.

There are plenty of posts...especially from me...about slow cable boxes.  Just search lag or sluggish in the TV Forum.  The slowness eventually disappears but I don't know why.

Batteries would not be an issue.  Every morning for the past month, Contour has been warning the batteries in my remote are low.  Right now, it's at 6%...but still works with no lag.  I just want to get to the point of the batteries becoming completely depleted...and I also don't know why.

RLVOC
    New Contributor

Thanks for everyone’s input.  

Not a remote issue.  When I press Guide, Info, select a channel, remote initiates action then get 3 dots moving across screen.  It’s even slower on 2nd tv with the smaller contour box.

Good point about analog vs digital signal (have signal or don’t have signal) but have seen this similar blurriness on wifi devices before I upgrade internet speed.  I’ll check posts for lag or sluggish as suggested.  

DVR near empty.  And completely empty when I exchanged for a new box at store.  

When checking connections: I recalled a tech long ago had put in what appears to be a power booster.  It connects to the coaxial cable coming out of the wall.  It includes an electric cable going to power outlet then has an output for a coax cable to go to Contour box.  Could that box be old, outdated, malfunctioning,...? Does everyone have one of these?

Problems still occurring.  Thanks again for commenting and trying to help solve.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

How's your Internet speed?  Can you satisfactorily stream anything?

The booster connects directly to the Contour box...not to a splitter and then onward to the Contour and Internet modem?

Are there lights on the booster and if so, are the lights illuminated?

If this slowness just affects your Contour boxes, it's probably the mysterious lag/slug we've all experienced from time-to-time.

RLVOC
        New Contributor

I think you’re final comment is the answer, Bruce.  It’s the mysterious lag/slug.  Thanks

bearone2
      Contributor III

3 dots are buffering, what speed are you paying for?

RLVOC
        New Contributor

Bearone2: my contour box is connected by coaxial.  The speed I’m paying for wouldn’t be relevant for that, would it?  For the record, I’m pay for 150mbps.  And at tv, I’m recording very high speed tests.