Forum Discussion

otterbay
Contributor
5 years ago

CableCARD fee increase, AGAIN?!?

In less than two years, the fee for a FCC mandated CableCARD has increased from $2 to $4 per month.

The equipment has never been updated or improved.

The same cards are in my TiVo units that were inserted originally.

Very few CSR's know how to properly manipulate them.

So I ask the question: how can Cox Communications justify a 100% increase in two years?

Have any of your salaries gone up 100% in two years?   No?  Then why is a piece of equipment that has not been improved, updated or changed out possible be 100% more expensive in just 24 months?

I imagine this is a somewhat rhetorical question, since there's little change ANY Cox employee reading this will have an answer that doesn't make them want to ask forgiveness for the lies they are about to type.

But I had to ask anyways, because someone has to hold you accountable for PRICE GOUGING during Covid-19

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bearone2
    Contributor III

you can either accept the increase or rent a cox receiver!!

otterbay
      Contributor

lol - right?  that's pretty much their attitude: RENT ours, SELL yours.  No thanks.  Still, 15 years later, TiVo's interface blows Cox's out of the water.  I'm just getting sick of the "subscription" reality.  I prefer to own.  If Cox weren't a monopoly, that would be different.  But they are, and they're being allowed to act like a friend of the Communitst Party.  lol

bearone2
        Contributor III

sorry but how can you complain when you're trying to by-pass rental charges??

rto, then complain if service isna't what you expected!

elliwigy
    New Contributor III

Youre data card might not have changed in 2 years but everything else has. Data is in high demand everywhere in the world, networks are more strained, technology is improving, speeds are getting faster etc. etc. 

To add, prices arent forever. I am sure when you got those cards you signed some paperwork that had all the details in it. 2 years is a good deal, most discounted pricing is only good for 1 year. 

Plus its 2$...They are also doing lots of positive things for ppl customers and non customers alike that I dont see you mention.

otterbay
      Contributor

They may be, and THOSE people can pay for whatever it is they are doing for them.  As far as "strained" data, bandwidth, etc.  Cox spends a reasonable amount of money sending snail mail promotions telling me how very awesome their upgrades, speeds, technology is.  Realistically, THAT's where the increase in fees are going - advertising and promotion.  And sorry, upping ANY price 100% is NOT a good deal.

gwar
    New Contributor

Totally agree.  I figure I've paid at least 10x the actual cost of the CableCard by now in rental fees over the years. Should have been a rent-to-own option.  Also the tuning adapter which they provide for free is garbage-- I've probably had it replaced 15x by now since I don't even think they make new ones just keep refurbishing them.