Forum Discussion

Remark
New Contributor
5 years ago

Returning problem where most Premium channels can not be tuned in.(e.g most HBO, most SHO, other misc like SCI). Does not matter if I choose HD or non-HD channels.)

Returning problem where most Premium channels can not be tuned in. [This uses Tivo with a Cable card.] A similar problem was fixed a couple of months ago, that did not benefit from a re-wire of undisturbed wires & connectors, nor from swapping out cable card, or digital tuner, or the TIVO box, or many, many reboots, or power cycles, or a few Cox resets.) Problem mysteriously went away after an onsite tech contacted advanced support and they did something remotely which had service up within the hour after he left.

14 Replies

Remark
    New Contributor

My suspicion is that there are a variety of signals or encodings for various generations of tuners, and this rarer type configuration may be de-tuned or turned off occasionally. The previous fix seemed to be out of the control of the local service people; I base that observation on all of the 'standard fixes' which made no difference, and how it started working a little while after the tech left,

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you're only missing a few channels, it may be due to a newer (higher) compression scheme.  When you first lost the channels, the tech probably moved your service to an older head end still supporting the older compression.

Did the tech happen to mention a new compression scheme?  If so, did the tech mention if your TiVo and card support the new scheme(s)?

I don't know the new scheme(s) but I suspect MPEG4.  A mod would need to provide any newer schemes and you'd have to verify if your equipment supports it/them.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Do I mean what?

Which component decodes:  TiVo or the cablecard?  I don't know much about cablecards.  I remember reading about 'em years ago...and thought it was pretty cool (cheaper TV)...but I never opted to get the tech.  If TiVo supports MP4, then it's a question for the card.

Remark
      New Contributor

This also happened starting late last July, so I doubt the data format has changed twice in the past 6 months with exactly the same results. Something more elemental is different. Like I noted, it was nothing the local techs could update, replace, initialize, power-cycle, refresh, reset, or reboot, that made this problem go away.

I'd bet something about supporting newer Coutour boxes and legacy devices with differing protocols over the same connections, then something was changed or dropped w/o warning ... like some network equipment rev/patch.  

Just guessing.

ColleenD

Remark, are you getting a message that you aren't authorized to view the channels, or is there a different message displayed? I was able to identify your account and have found that the issue we visited you for in November was related to an outage. Once the outage was cleared the service would have started working again. I have sent some updates to your cable card and adapter in the hopes it will resolve the trouble you're having, but if it doesn't I may need you to email us at cox.help@cox.com so we can have a timely conversation and authenticate, etc.

Bruce, tech's can't move equipment the way you're describing. Moving equipment to a different head-end would cause the equipment to cease functioning altogether.

-Colleen
        Support Forums Moderator