Forum Discussion

chwdr3
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Problem w/ contour box -- Having to restart daily to connect service

I transferred my service a few weeks ago -- when we moved we switched to the wireless dvr and now have 4 contour boxes

3 boxes seem to work fine

One box, on the TV we use the most in the family room, (a new smart TV -- samsung qled) is giving us trouble. Each morning when turning on either "All power" or just the "TV power" button, the TV isn't recognizing the HDMI source of the cable. So each time, we do a hard reboot and it restarts and works fine.

We did have a tech come out last week (he was coming anyway to set up the homelife service). I wasn't home at the time -- He apparently said it had to do with some setting and thought he had fixed it -- not sure the details. Regardless, that was 4-5 days ago and it still re-occurs each day. 

Thoughts? Ideas?

50 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    chwdr3
    New Contributor II

Oh, and i've tried different HDMI inputs on the tv, still happens w/ any input

• chwdr3....maybe you need to re-program the Contour remote and re-check the instructions that give the numeric number for the Samsung.  I had, myself moved from the old DVR to the Contour2 and used the old number for my Samsung.  That number changed on the new 2 remote.

On another note, you now have 4 Contour2 DVR's....because you wanted independent recordings from each TV or another reason.  I also went this way because my old 2 machines could record independently.  Now, with these 2 newer DVR's I sometimes get shows programed from one DVR/TV appearing on the other DVR.  Not sure if you really wanted a Whole House system instead, which COX provides...allowing 6 simultaneous records, or the 2 max with playback of an existing recorded show that you currently get from the Contour2.  That was what I wanted, but COX changed the Contour2 to Not allow the 2 or more DVR's from actually seeing each other... I have a beef with this setup, because both DVR can see what is scheduled, and occasionally a recorded show from one appears on the other....bummer

chwdr3
      New Contributor II

thanks for the reply -- will consider that ~ the cox remote functionality still seems like it remains each day, just the source input is not recognized

montman
        New Contributor

Was this ever resolved?  I also have a new QLED Samsung and my cox 4k streaming box has to be unplugged and plugged back in for the tv to recognize it.  I re-paired the cox remote with no improvement.

PhilW
    New Contributor

We moved into a new home that is wired for TV in multiple rooms, but when Cox came out, they installed the "wireless" system - don't know why.  We have the same problem.  We only have one Samsung TV at the present time, and  every morning we lose the TV connection and have to unplug and replug the Contour box.  Then it works again.  Very frustrating since nobody seems to know the cause or solution.  I'm wondering if we went back to a "wired" solution the problem would go away.

ZKing
      New Contributor

I am having this exact same problem. Wireless cox boxes lose connection to samsung TV's everyday requiring a reboot of the cable box. So frustrating given that all of this equipment is brand new. 

PJS2
        Contributor

Have you tried out-waiting the box? My system, which is coax, can take up to 10 minutes to start. I used to unplug it but find that "patience is a virtue". Still ridiculous for new equipment! 

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      Hello,

Are you noticing that the gateway is offline when this happens? Also the next time this occurs please email your full-service address and full name to cox.help@cox.com so we can take a closer look.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
        PhilW
        New Contributor

As far as we know, the gateway is always online.  How does one tell if it is online or offline?  I assume you are taking about the Panaromic box.  I'm sure it will happen again tomorrow morning and will e-mail you our service address.  My wife noticed that Cox updates the wireless boxes every night at 2am or something, and we suspect that that update/reset is what is causing the problem.