Forum Discussion

Jessica4Girls
New Contributor
5 years ago

TV Connection

I just got a new smart tv and am trying to connect to my cable box. I have a mini box in my room where my tv is. The tv says there is nothing connected to the HDMI connection but i checked and double checked and it is in the correct slot and my box is on. The connection will come in but goes out immediately and says no signal and that nothing is plugged in

17 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Was this Mini Box connected to your previous TV...or is the Mini Box also new?

If this Mini Box has worked in the past, unplug it from the wall for 5 minutes and plug it back in.  HDMI is all about copy-right protection so the Mini Box may not like "talking" to a new device (TV) without reestablishing a new trusted connection.

Jessica4Girls
      New Contributor

I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and still nothing 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Verify your input source is set to "HDMI".

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III
        Was this Mini Box connected to your previous TV...or is the Mini Box also new?

You didn't actually answer Bruce's question.  Is it a new mini-box?

Did you program the mini-box remote to work with your new TV?

What is the exact wording of the error message you receive?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Establishing copy-right protection is a 2-way conversation.  You have to unplug the Mini Box for a few minutes to allow its capacitors to fully drain power and lose any previous trust.  After you plug it back it, the Mini Box will not only renegotiate with your TV but also Cox.

Your TV might also be retaining the previous trust so remove its power for a few minutes.

I wouldn't tinker too much with this Mini Box but instead exchange it at your Solution Store.