Forum Discussion

T__Owens
New Contributor
5 years ago

Contour - very poor system performance

After begin forced to upgrade 9 months ago, we have given the Contour system as much opportunity to impress us as we can handle.  It has failed miserably! 

The issues stated in our original post below are still happened.  The system response time to remote control commands are very slow.  The lag gets much worse during peak viewing hours (5-9pm).  Many times we will click channel change(s) (or anything else), the system will freeze up, and after a minute or so the system will process all of the remote commands sitting in the buffer.  This happens across all of our Contour boxes, in all rooms.  This is just a very poor performing system. 

After 9 months of frustration, we are ready to terminate 25+ years of service with Cox.  We are moving to a streaming platform.  We just don't understand how Cox doesn't see these performance issues on there end.  As a systems engineer, I am almost positive they have access to system performance data.  I would think all of the posts on the internet would make Cox more proactive to resolve this issue.  This is clearly a pervasive systemic issue.   

Posted 9 months ago (the post is now locked):

I just converted to the Contour 2 system, and it's terrible.  The reaction time of the system to remote commands is terrible.  Sometimes I have to press a button two or three times to get the system to respond.  This happens on all three Contour boxes. The user interface is ridiculously slow.

Also, who came up with the blue LED clock no one can read?

This is an upgrade? 

The user interface looks pettier, but performance is terrible.  Someone remind me why I pay $300 a month for this service?

Very disappointed.....

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    T__Owens
    New Contributor

I apologize for the grammatical errors.  I'm a bit frustrated with Cox right now.

ekhawaii
      Contributor

T.... sorry to hear about the C2 boxes and remotes.  I have 2 boxes and have occasionally had slow response remotes.  Like a buffer problem.  Fortunately, my problems have gone away after a few hrs/days.  I have pulled the power chord looking for a problem.  My internet, at that time, have not seem to be any problem using any speedtest.  One TV come via a splitter for the internet, the other from the house coax.  Knock on wood with my TV issues.  If your internet is not giving a problem, then should not the TV be OK....you've already changed boxes.

I have other functional issues with C2 boxes...like program jump key, or being able to separate the 2 C2 boxes from seeing each other and cross storing of records...etc but that slow remote of yours is really a pain...COX should be able to tell...unfortunately if a tech comes out, it would probably work fine.

Note, after posting a Reply...if you find you need to modify/fix, try picking on your reply and select the More button and Edit...something like that.

• Hi T. Owens. The issue with slow response time for the remote control commands isn't normal. We don't want to lose a long-time loyal member of the Cox family. For help, please send an email to cox.help@cox.com and include this link along with your complete address and name on the account. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
      spoonguy1
      New Contributor

Why so someone can make excuses as to why it's not your companies crappy product that is the problem.  You're company better wake up or it's going out of business or it won't have anywhere near as many customers as it does now.

Rickp
    New Contributor

I agree.  I was forced to upgrade to Contour, but thought this new system would bring Cable TV out the old 1980 technology.  Boy was I wrong.   Just look at the features in a smart phone today. Built in bluetooth, Wifi. and apps to do tons of things.   Then I've provided with this massive cable box that's just a digital tuner.  No bluetooth, wifi.  In fact no fancy features at all.  Also,  the old Rovi boxes ran years, without having to restart them.  These new contour boxes have to be unplugged and restarted every few weeks,  Otherwise you have lousy reception.   And they lack the zoom feature for programs that don't fill the screen.  Huge dissappointment.  If Cox wants to move into the digital age, they need to start providing equipment with features that we routinely find today in digital equipment.  I also have a TV antenna which picks up most of what I normally watch.  So you're not alone.  I'm sitting on the fence as to why I should contiue paying for this service when most of the channels are not worth watching . It's sadly falling behind today's technology.