Forum Discussion

rcaron
New Contributor II
5 years ago

LG OLED Smart TV will not connect to wired connection

Hello,

i am trying to connect my LG Smart Tv to the internet via a wired connection. The word connection works fine on other devices, as I checked the cat 6 Ethernet cable and

Plugged it into my Laptop. When I plug the same Ethernet cable into my TV is does not connect to a wired connection. Some websites say to change the IP address and the DNS address. What would I change them to and will this work? I am able to conn3ct to the WiFi fine via the tv, just not the wired connection.

Thank you,

Rebecca 

29 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Can you disable the wireless card via the settings on your LG?  The wired port probably has connectivity to your router but if the wireless also has connectivity, the LG defaults to wireless.  I'm not sure but perhaps there's a priority with 2 active ports or 1 active port may be disabling the other.

rcaron
      New Contributor II

No. Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to do that. Thank you 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Website instructs to enable the wired network connection as follows:

Home button > Setting > Button with 3 dots > Network > Wired Connection (Ethernet)

rcaron
      New Contributor II

Hi Bruce, I have an LG B7 65” OLED tv and the only way it will connect to Ethernet is to restart panoramic modem/router, reset tv, start set-up select Ethernet wired connection, plug cat7 in and it connects. As soon as I turn the tv off and turn it back on there is no wired network connection and it will not recognize the Ethernet cable going into the port. My son has a 4K Lg webos tv and the Ethernet connection works flawlessly. I realize my main tv is more sophisticated, but is there something with my modem/router settings that can be changed to make it work? 

I’ve even tried a usb 3.0 to Ethernet adapter but when I plug that connection it it says it’s an unrecognizable device and I can’t even access it. 

I have an Ethernet wire going directly into my Apple TV on this same television and it recognizes the Ethernet connection at all times.

i have been trying everything and there are no software updates.

thank you for your help!

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Reset the TV...to factory defaults?  What do you do to reset the TV?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Go through your steps to get wired connectivity again and update the firmware on your TV.

I copied the steps from LG:

- Press the Home/Smart Home button on your remote to bring up your launcher bar
    - Click the Settings icon in the top-right
    - Choose the All Settings option at the bottom
    - Choose the General menu from the left
    - Scroll down, near the bottom of the list, and select About this TV
    - Ensure the Allow Automatic Updates is checked
    - Click the Check for Updates button
    - If an update is found, follow the steps on screen to download and install it

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

I noticed in the release notes, the update fixes an IPv6 bug.  The update allows you to disable it.

rcaron
        New Contributor II

there were no new updates to download 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I think the reset you're doing on your TV is only resetting any customized audio/video setting back to factory defaults.

I read something about a "cold reboot" as follows:

- Unplug TV
    - Press and Hold power button on TV set for 30 seconds (the TV set)
    - Plug TV back in

rcaron
        New Contributor II

I did that test and unplugged the Ethernet cable too. Held for 30 seconds, turned tv back on, plugged in Ethernet and it recognized the cable. I’m going to turn it off and on now again. 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

We know the hardware works based on your troubleshooting.  Perhaps there's an issue with a network policy.

Log into your router and check for any security policy, schedule policy or if there is any limit on the number of IP addresses your router can issue at one time.

I'm just stabbing in the dark here.