Forum Discussion

Rexx
New Contributor III
5 years ago

On Demand TV shows freeze up when an AD (commercial break) is going to show.

Okay after a few weeks new to using the new Contour 2 DVR box.

When I am watching On Demand TV shows (episodes that I never saw or I am interested in looking for a new TV show to subscribe to), I've noticed this issue tends to happen quite frequently.

When an AD (commercial break) is going to show or after it has shown, it goes black screen and stays like that.  I then press the << button on my remote control and that allows me to unfreeze it and finally it shows the commercial that needed to show or be able to continue watching the program.

It doesn't happen on each episode that I am watching On Demand, but after a few, I then experience this issue.

I am a troubleshooter by heart, so I usually can figure these things, but I wonder if anyone out there that isn't that inclined to figure these things out, how do they do it?  Do they wait minutes or hours until the screen returns from darkness?  Usually when this happens the sound cuts off, so it's simply a black screen.

I've done my due diligence to check connections and also do a power off cycle, but it seems this issue comes from COX, when they transmit the AD (commercial break) to display after some time during the On Demand TV show series.  It seems that the transmission gets stuck in limbo.

Hopefully your techs can spot this issue and perhaps send a firmware update to the box.

1 Reply

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Rexx, On Demand uses a lot of signal strength on the Contour receiver, and I suspect that you may be experiencing signal issues. Do you have a splitter, by chance? If so, we recommend bypassing the splitter for troubleshooting purposes, to see if this alleviates the issue. If this continues, then the best course of action would be to send out a service technician. Please feel free to send us an email at cox.help@cox.com, for further assistance. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator