This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Contour2 Distorted Display of older TV shows, like Turner Classic Movies

With Contour2 does anyone notice and dislike the TV display when viewing classic shows---for example, the Turner Movie Channel or Twilight Zone? In days long ago, most non-HD shows played poorly on an HDTV.  Then  it got a whole lot better.  For me with my previous Cox cable boxes most older movies or classic shows  filled the screen because you often had the choice of accessing some by their HD or non-HD channel - or even if they didn't fill the screen, you could press a button on the remote and make it "zoom" or "stretch" or "normal."  Zoom did not give you a "bigger image vertically" or distort the view.  It just filled the screen in landscape mode and with no distortion.  I have many of those channels now where the display is like a huge square from top to bottom, and blackout  columns on either side--in other words you can't make it go landscape. As such, you lose quite a bit of the screen shot horizontally and often the picture is distorted or blurry.  Even when the picture is clear, it is chopped off.  I've tried changing resolutions on my TV and Contour remotes, but no luck. Just asking if you had this problem and figured out a cure. I'm such a lover of old shows, this is close to a show-stopper for me and the opposite of an "upgrade."  Seeing a bigger square version of Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland on the screen with one of his arms chopped off by the big square "view" is annoying!!!

Parents
No Data
  • Hi TVAddict, I watch movies on TCM almost daily, so I appreciate your frustration. Make sure that "Prefer Best Available Resolution" is enabled within the Settings/Preferences/General menu of your Contour 2 receiver. Next, using the remote control that came with your television, check the TV's video output resolution/aspect ratio setting. My TV actually allows me to override the preferences set on the cable box, which, as you mentioned, sometimes cuts off the sides of the picture. The resolution setting on my TV that works best for me is "Fit to Screen Mode." You may have to play with the settings available on your TV to find what works best for you. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
Children