L__White
New Contributor
11 months ago

How to secure COX phone modem wi-fi signal & dropped calls

I have the

Voice/Internet Modem
Brand: ARRIS
Model: TM3402A

Seems to work BUT with dropped calls and the modem is "HOT"...  Meaning, the modem is showing up in "my wi-fi connections" BUT is unsecured.  I've looked at the tools and tips for both COX wi-fi and the phone service including the Cox wi-fi app.  Nothing is mentioned anywhere that I can see in the forums or online.  The phone modem and my Cox Gigablast are split into two indiidual connections from coax wall connection.  I only have one wall connection, so my connection options are what they are.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

LCW 

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

The 3402 has no WiFi capability. What unsecured WiFi SSID are you seeing?

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I am confused. You say you only have one wall connection yet the phone modem and Gigablast(Panoramic?) are separate. Why not use the phone modem for internet and get rid of the splitter? Is it so you can buy your own modem?

As for your issue, the TM3402 doesn't have Wi-Fi, like Darkatt said. See here for specs. My guess is your seeing the hotspot from the Panoramic gateway for your Gigablast service. See here on how to disable.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The My WiFi app is just detecting the telephone modem on its way to your Panoramic.  The modem is just connected to your coaxial and about as "hot" as a cable-box.

I have 2 modems as well because the DOCSIS side of the TM3402 went kaput, so I relegated the 3402 to just Voice.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

the 3402 has no WiFi capability, you would have to have a WiFi router attached to it. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The app connects to a Cox server.  The server connects to your Pano via coax.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Could you tell more about the dropped calls? How often does that happen? Do you lose internet at the same time?