Forum Discussion

JACKD_ND
New Contributor
2 years ago

FAKE COX GUY CALLING IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA NAMED ALEX...from COX COMUNICATNS (missed spelled)

His number is 703-378-8422 or another if they moved on so don't answer this phone call to be sure.  We got scam for some money when certain money was moved not giving to us.  They did call again this morning so they thought we didn't know what's up.  Caller - ID shows its called COX COMUNICATNS that's missed spelled to clue to you that's not from COX CABLE at all.  They had us download software called "TeamViewer" free software to help us with out internet problem when they said COX CABLE had a server went down when our IP ADDRESS went private to public also about their fake story for this scam.  Be safe too.  PLEASE CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if this happens to you!!!

5 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

This is an informative post.  I see you updated it with more background.

Did you uninstall TeamViewer?  I'd scan your computer for malware and perhaps another security program (MalwareBytes) just for an overkill.

Did you delete the TeamViewer executable from your computer?

Also, review your firewall settings for any mysterious-looking open ports.  This may be difficult because all allowed programs look mysterious but you could always remove the rule and then re-allow after using the applicable, known, trusted program.

Look into your Windows Explorer (or equivalent) for any unknown programs configured to launch during boot and login.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I knew this STIR/SHAKEN program wouldn't work because people are forgetting about the "V" code.  The FCC should have mandated providers to flag unverifiable numbers...not good numbers.  If I saw a weird code preceding a Caller ID name...such as ""...it'd get my attention.  I never see the "V" and have forgotten all about it.  The gov't only punishes or changes people or things not violating anything.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Fairfax is the county.  This number is specifically Herndon VA.

It's a legit Cox number but it's just not a number Cox uses to call subscribers.