Forum Discussion

Izzak
New Contributor
3 years ago

Spam or Real?

Can anyone confirm if this is a real number of spam +18888968174, they claim to be from cox and even knew my security question and answer. I have updated everything with my acct now so please don't recommend I do that.

6 Replies

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Whether you choose to follow up by contacting Cox for verification could depend on why the alleged Cox representative said they were calling you.  If it would be something of significance if legitimate, Cox should be able to tell you what it was if you contact them.  Send an email to cox.help@cox.com and ask them if it was a legitimare phone call and if so, ask for more information.  This will allow you to determine the authenticity of the phone call and the email will provide documentation for any potential issue with Cox.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Even if the number is real, a scammer could be spoofing (pretending) the number.  How do you know they knew your question & answer?  Did you reveal it and they confirmed?  If you've changed everything since revealing, you should be good to go.  Do you have 2-Factor enabled?

Izzak
      New Contributor

I asked them to prove they were from Cox by telling me something on the account. They said they couldn't share account into with out asking me my pin or security question. I told them to ask the security question. Which was right the question.

Yes I have two factor turned on and everything. I am super careful, my concern was they were already on my account.