Forum Discussion

kurt99
New Contributor
3 years ago

No ring tone

Problem with Cox land line, connected to Cisco modem DPQ3212. I cannot hear a ring tone

on only certain local numbers. Everything else works normally. The called party

phone rings normally, the phone is answered, and a normal conversation can be made.

This problem occurs consistently on about 5-10% of numbers I normally call. No help

rebooting modem. What's wrong?

4 Replies

BenS1
    Former Moderator
    Hi @Kurt99,

I know it is frustrating to have an intermittent dial tone. Just to clarify, is your phone system connected directly into the back of your Cisco Modem in the T1 jack or is the phone line plugged directly into the wall from the modem? Also, is your telephone modem off of the floor and in a well-ventilated open area (not in a cabinet)?

Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      kurt99
      New Contributor

The problem is not a dial tone - it's a missing RING tone. Meaning, after i dial there is total silence until someone answers the phone.

The problem is not intermittent - it is consistent on only a few specific phone numbers.

The phone is plugged into the back of the modem and is in a well-ventilated area.

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        @Kurt99,

Thanks for the clarification. Are the phone number that you have the problem on cell phone numbers, and if they are cell phone numbers or are they landline numbers as well?

Ben S.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator