Forum Discussion

mwhittington
New Contributor
4 years ago

Caller ID coming up as spam

When using my landline, many people are telling me that my number comes up as SPAM on their caller ID

I've never had this issue until about 2 weeks ago after a Cox scheduled maintenance in my area

I contacted tech support and they rebooted my system and told me to unplug/plug phone to modem but that didn't help.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thank you,

7 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox publishes your Caller ID for other phone companies..  Send Cox an email at cox.help@cox.com.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @mwhittington

As Bruce suggested please email your full name, address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
    bearone2
    Contributor III

your number can be spoofed to folks you know but doesn't come from your area code, shows them as spam.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You missed the key phrase, "When using my landline…"  Meaning, when the OP makes a call…the call is displayed as "SPAM."

Your number can be spoofed but it’d be a 1-in-10 billion chance your spoofed number would actually be to somebody you’d know.  However, if someone maliciously obtained your call history, address book, contact list, etc; it’d look like a legit call from you.

Unless telephone companies started tracing calls, they wouldn't know the origin.  There was an FCC initiative (STIR/SHAKEN) to combat spoofing but it hasn't started yet.

bearone2
      Contributor III

i know, i just wanted to provide more info.

sorry pal, i've been told by folks that when my cell number has come up, it's from a wrong area code.

that's how they know it's a bogus call.

my provider, xfinity mobile, id's many calls as spam, they never leave.vm.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        when my cell number has come up, it's from a wrong area code.

Then it wouldn't be your cell number.