Forum Discussion

Akriant
New Contributor
4 years ago

Shouldn't the modem be free?

Good day everyone!

I've just upgraded to Gigablast internet + phone. Cox shipped me the "upgrade kit",  No mention of any modem rentals. Two days later I've noticed that now I have a modem rental fee in my billing.

So I've contacted Cox via chat and I am being told that Panoramic modem that they sent me can't be purchased, that I can potentially buy my own modem (problem is there isn't a single modem available that does phone + internet that's cox certified AND that is actually available for purchase). The ARRIS TM3402 isn't sold anywhere and neither is Technicolor GM4141. I can't get a straight answer why I need this tacked on service and how would I be able to have the phone service if I get my own modem from the list that doesn't have the phone line connectivity.

Any ideas what to do? I am not super interested in paying a rental fee to Cox for modem that I don't want AND didn't ask for. I'd rather buy one myself, but it doesn't seem that anyone sells ARRIS TM3402 or Technicolor GM4141 (which is kind of garbage, I'd want to avoid anyway, due to the noise it makes)

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    dcmiller12
    New Contributor II

If you're still around, I'm curious how this worked out. I'm in a similar position. 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Take your old DOCSIS-eMTA to the Solution Store.  Inform the Solution Store you want to upgrade your data plan but need a new DOCSIS-eMTA.  If the Solution Stores starts pressuring for the Panoramic, inform them your router and all your devices currently only work on...and currently work superbly with...60 GHz (802.11ad).  Then the Solution Store will insist your devices are backwards compatible with Panoramic.  Just because it's backwards compatible doesn't mean DCMiller has to step backwards.  The Solution Store will then issue your new modem.  Ta-da!

bearone2
    Contributor III

sure it should along with free lunch/dinner, car wash, groceries, college degree....let someone else pay for it, right!!

gobigredno1
    New Contributor II

Cox will give you a modem for your phone service. The pano gives you both internet and phone but you don't have to only have one modem. Many people have a modem for internet only that they purchase. Cox has to give you a modem for phone service. 

Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

No Cox just gives rents the phone modem free since they don’t allow customer owned phone modems

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

What's wrong with you, old man?  An Internet modem is not a radio.  If you want to listen to the radio, use your ear trumpet.

bearone2
        Contributor III

were you talking to me, i'm just hearing static over the radio??