Forum Discussion

CocoPuffs
New Contributor
4 years ago

Separate Phone and Internet Modems

I am planning to upgrade to Gigablast internet, which means I'd need to upgrade from my DPQ3212 modem to one with DOCSIS 3.1. However, I have a phone line and it is my understanding that if I am to buy my own modem, I'd still have to use the one provided by Cox for phone service, meaning I'd need 2 separate modems, one for internet and one for telephone service. If this is correct, and I follow through with getting Gigablast and a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, what exactly would I need to do to set it up when it arrives? Would someone need to come to our house to set it up (are they even doing house visit right now?), would I need a coax cable splitter or could I use a different coax outlet in the house? I've looked into this quite a bit as gaming on my current plan has been quite frustrating, but I'm a bit confused about the details so any help is appreciated!

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bearone2
    Contributor III

yes, have to pay for phone service. i'm not sure if you can do gigablast without the panoramic combo unit, which includes phone.

cox needs to wire for a 2nd co-ax & they're not making house calls now.

Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

yes you can do gigablast without the panoramic combo unit, 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you've already got Cox Voice (VoIP, packet-switching), a tech would not need to install.  You just need to register for the self-install either at the Solution Store or calling/emailing Cox.

I'm not quite sure how 2 different modems would connect.  Maybe it'd be as easy as a splitter.

wahoo789
    New Contributor II

I'm in almost the same boat as you.  I have the Cisco DPQ3212.  I decided to cut out cable TV, but keep Cox phone service and upgrade to the Ultimate Internet package (500 Mbps) from the Preferred Internet package (150 Mbps).  I did this last Friday, the 15th and was told by the phone technician it would be effective on Monday, the 18th.  I specifically asked if my modem would support the speed.  He said yes, so I didn't even research it.  As of this morning, the 20th, my cable TV was still working and my Internet speed hadn't been upgraded.  I checked online for pending orders and it just showed "processing".

I called this afternoon, the 20th, to see when I could expect it to be done.  The phone technician told me he "forced it through".  I asked when my Internet speed would increase and he said something about it working after the system rebooted.  Nothing happened, so after an hour, I rebooted my modem only to see the same 150 Mbps limit.

I called again and the person I got this time told me that my cable TV was gone and that my Internet service was at the 150 Mbps level.  At this point, I'm kind of ticked off.  He was going to connect me to tech support before he realized that my modem was the problem.  He told me that I would need to rent a new one from Cox for $10 a month or I would have to buy one.  I told him I wasn't interested in renting one and asked what exactly I needed to buy.  He told me that pretty much any DOCSIS 3.1 modem would work.  I wasted a bunch of time on Amazon looking for a Cox compatible DOCSIS 3.1 modem with voice capability.  Of course, I now know you can't really buy one.

Searching the forums here I found the link to the compatible modems page.  You'd think one of the 3 people I've dealt with so far could have pointed me there, but nonetheless, I see that the only non-wifi DOCSIS 3.1 modem with voice is the Arris TM3402, which you can't buy, but only rent from Cox.  So, I have the following questions:

1.  Since Cox is required, by law, to provide a free modem for voice services, should they have to provide me with an Arris TM3402 for free?  Can they say that my current modem has voice and tell me to pound sand and either rent or buy a second compatible modem?  I've seen a reply from a moderator in another post indicating that you can simply take your old modem to Cox and get it swapped out.  However, the last person I spoke with didn't give that to me as an option.

2.  If I have to buy or rent a second modem, is it as simple as adding a splitter to my cable line and running one coax cable to the DOCSIS 3.1 modem and one to the Cisco DPQ3212 and giving Cox the MAC and serial number of the new DOCSIS 3.1?

I may create my own post in the Internet forum.  Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello Wahoo789,

I apologize for the inconsistent information. You are able to swap out your Cisco DPQ3212 for an Arris TM3402 at any Cox retail location as long as you subscribe to phone service. That is the modem that we offer for free to our phone subscribers. All you would have to do is connect a router to it so that you can have Wifi. If you are concerned about your internet speeds and the upgrade to the Ultimate level of service. The Arris TM3402 is compatible with the Ultimate level of internet service.

Crystal
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
        wahoo789
        New Contributor II

CrystalS, thanks for clearing that up for me.  One follow up question; If I were wanting to buy my own DOCSIS 3.1 modem, could I run it in parallel with the Cisco DPQ3212 and have my purchased modem handle Internet while the Cisco handled the voice?

Andrew_Wees
      Contributor III

it has nothing to do with law it's the fact cox doesn't want customer owned emta's so they rent  free as long as you have phone