Forum Discussion

mattkmason
New Contributor
4 years ago

Does Cox offer a free phone Modem?

Reading on the forums that they do, but whenever I call or chat with support, they are telling me I need to rent a modem for $10.99 a month, or if I want to purchase one for $129.99, I have walk into a Cox Store. Nevermind the fact that Cox is saying the only way to purchase is to walk into a store in the middle of a pandemic, but why the conflicting messaging? 

Just to be clear, I have Google Wifi as my router, so I only need a modem that I can connect my phone to, and an ethernet cord to the Google WiFi.

Thank You,

Matthew

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      mattkmason
      New Contributor

Bruce,

Thanks, that's exactly the information I thought was correct. My last phone call I end asked specifically for the Arris TG1682. I was told it would be $10.99/a month. When I asked how Cox could charge me for a phone that was required to have the phone line, I was told 'all modems supplied by Cox come with a charge.' I don't know what the problem is, but this is the 3 rep I've dealt with telling me the same info (2 on chat, and one via phone. If someone here could help I'd be EXTREMELY grateful. Have a msg out for Cox Twitter support, as they are usually on the ball, but understandably they are a little busy right now. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

As you know, the ARRIS Surfboard TG1682 is DOCSIS 3.0, Cox Voice and WiFi.  Sure, if you need a DOCSIS and WiFi, Cox will rent it to you.

However, you already have a DOCSIS and WiFi, so you only need the telephone modem (eMTA).  Cox used to have standalone eMTA devices but I believe they've issued all.  Cox can't rent you an eMTA, so they'll have to issue something and if that something is a combo device, so be it.  Free issue.  Some day you'll need to return it so don't lose it.

bearone2
    Contributor III

so you want free telephone service so you can have free access to the internet.!!!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

I was assuming the OP would pay for the Cox Voice service but didn't want to buy or rent equipment to activate it.

mattkmason
      New Contributor

Yeah, not at all what I was asking. I assumed it was obvious that by stating that I'm using Google WiFi as my router, that I was already paying for internet. I purchased my own Modem, but isn't compatible with the phone line. I was perfectly willing to purchase my own modem (one that would do everything) but when I found out that I could only get one from Cox, I was miffed. Not going to get suckered into the rental game again.

But yeah, my issue was in the terminology. I kept asking for a modem, which I understand is not free. Now that I specifically asked for a eMTA, that got the ball rolling, and order is on it's way.

Thank you also Bruce for reminding me about the 3rd Party Verification. No one told me about that when I ordered the phone line. Got that done this morning, and immediately after the order was able to go in for the eMTA. They wouldn't tell me if they still had eMTAs in stock, or if I would just get a modem. I don't really care, their base eMTA is compatible with Internet up to 150Mbps. Would have loved to upgrade to 300 or more, but 150 is what I currently have, so we're good for now. 

Thank you for all your help Bruce!

Matt